Front sprint U joint nut size 73 Brave

Started by The_Handier_Man1, November 19, 2008, 05:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Handier_Man1

Sent: 5/3/2006 2:45 PM

Anyone know the nut size on the front spring U bolt for a 73 Brave ?   I need to get a deep socket and get that  nut off.   I have my front Ride-Rite Air Helper Springs in front of me.

Sent: 5/3/2006 5:13 PM

hi tatkin,
i have a 73 indian rm350 chassis. when i put the front air bags on all i had to do was get the front u bolt off on the axle. the bracket that holds the air bag only went under this bolt and sat on top of the bracket that holds the shock mount. i had a question for you about this shock bracket on your rig if yours is the same as mine. the size of the nuts on my bolts were 7/8''. please let me know if you can help me out with that bracket question.
good luck,
sal

Sent: 5/4/2006 3:14 AM

If you go to www.truckspring.com on the opening page you select your rig info and click go.  Under Ride-Rite air springs there is an installation manual you can view right there one line.     I am not sure I understand your question though ??? I also have to take that front Ubolt off to place the bracket that came with the Ride-Rite air springs ...

Sent: 5/4/2006 6:03 AM

my question was about the flat piece of steal that the shocks mount to. on mine it is just rolled over on one end and a bolt slips through and holds the shocks on to the spring pack. this bolt seems to be very loose in the hole and allows movement. was just wondering if while you were under there if you would see if there was any play in yours. wondering if this is normal. i just can't figure why my rig starts to jump around alittle at speed. thanks
sal

Sent: 5/4/2006 2:03 PM

I believe we both need new shocks under there.   I looked, the passenger side shock is loose, the rubber is dry on that shock, on the lower end.   The driver side is still tight.

Sent: 5/4/2006 6:48 PM

I just ordered a set of those Billistine shocks, can't hurt ...  That with the Ride rite air suspension and this baby should have a pretty good ride...

Sent: 5/4/2006 7:06 PM

when i first got my rig i put some new shocks on it. monroe or something. not great but o.k. its been a few years and i want to go to some of the bilstien shocks myself. when you change yours out can you tell if the bolt that goes through that rolled piece of metal is loose on yours? mine is just a long steel bolt going through that and the shock. there seems to be alot of play in that piece on my rig. i know a few others here have changed to bilstien and are very happy with the ride improvment.
sal

Sent: 5/5/2006 4:06 AM

Will do, the shocks cost me $320 with shipping ...

Sent: 5/7/2006 2:03 PM

Those nuts are tight...  I bought a 3 foot water pipe for leverage.   That was a heck of a workout.  Only have the drivers side done with the air ride bag ...

Sent: 5/7/2006 6:07 PM

ya, mine were very tight too. i used a box end wrench and a little 3lb sledge. primritive impact driver! just be sure to get them back just as tight and check them again after a few miles. you will be very happy with the results of your efforts.
sal

Sent: 5/8/2006 6:58 AM

When I installed my air bags I used a wire brush attached to a drill motor to clean the threads. Gil

Sent: 5/8/2006 5:19 PM

Them puppies are on, all the way around...   Broke 3 ratchet wrenchs  doing it.    Look at my photos, also broke a U joint getting the nut off ...   I truthfully hurt , these were muscles I have not used in a long time ...

Sent: 5/10/2006 11:13 AM

What a difference in driving.  I was doing 60 with 1 hand on the wheel ...

Sent: 5/10/2006 11:15 AM

I was under there, and NO that bolt does not move.  It is like there is no head on that bolt and it was welded to the ? support attached to the frame ...

Sent: 5/10/2006 11:16 AM

Bilestien shocks next ...   

Sent: 5/11/2006 5:59 AM

thanks for checking that out for me. mine moves all over the place and i get a vary strange bumping feeling from the front end when going about 60 mph or over. i'll have to figure some way to weld that thing solid. thanks again.
sal

Sent: 5/11/2006 6:53 AM

I've been running on Bilsteins and full air bag suspension (front and rear) for a year now.  That, coupled with a good steering box adjustment and steering linkage components in good condition have made a world of difference.  Not a cheap proposition, to say the least, but you can never put a price on the things that will keep you, your family, and others safe on the road.

- Sob

Sent: 5/11/2006 10:47 AM

A visit to someone with a welder ?  The only thing that would worry me is if that bolt decides to come out the rest of the way out ...

Sent: 5/11/2006 2:24 PM

Get the air suspension.   That made a world of change for the good ...

Sent: 5/11/2006 2:58 PM

i have got the air bags all around. i agree with sob there is no money better spent than on the drive line. i have redone the brakes all the way around and replaced the steering box, ball joints and king pins. new radiator, tires and many engine upgrades. the only thing i got cheap was the monroe shocks. after installing the air bags is when i started to notice this jumping in the front end at speed. i think with the air bags it alows a little play in the shock reaction and is pushing this bolt in the mount up and down because there is not as much load on it? anyway going to get the bilstiens and see how i can weld that up. it really dose drive very nicely now. one hand, no wondering and stops on a dime. i love messing around with this thing.
sal

Sent: 5/12/2006 9:28 AM

I just dropped off Stella at the mechanic.  I'll post a final total when it's over and what was done.

Sent: 5/23/2006 5:29 PM

I am not sure but this thought came to me last night...  Why not let some air out of those from air ? bags/suspension ?   Just enough to make them shocks tight again ...

Sent: 5/25/2006 12:27 PM

Well they are trying ...  Unknown how far they have gotten other then jacking her up.

Sent: 6/4/2006 5:00 AM

They told me the brakes are done.   Yeah...   I then said please put these 4 new bilstien shocks on also.   And try to tighten up the belts on the engine please.   Soon to be back home ...   

Sent: 6/16/2006 10:25 AM

Now they are telling me the brakes aren't done.   They say they are searching for a new or rebuilt master cylinder ...

Sent: 6/16/2006 6:22 PM

The M300/RM350 master cylinder is an odd bird to find on a shelf....

Although some parts place it might cross it over to something the might be able to order, your best bet is an all new one from Geoff at Alretta Brake Parts. And it's really not too expensive, although I can't recall what I paid for mine exactly...

Tom

Sent: 6/16/2006 7:24 PM

I have a brand new (not rebuilt) in the box master cylinder for an M300/RM350 chassis with twin piston front disk brakes.

It didn't get put on my 1974 Winnebago Expo before the 75' fir tree fell on it.

If you are interested, contact me directly. I can send you a picture for comparison with the existing master cylinder.

Regards,

~rlm~

dmahan@whidbey.net

Sent: 6/16/2006 9:10 PM

Rim may have the correct master cylinder for you, and that would be great, but anything else, (brakewise) as Tom said, "get what you need from Geoff a Alretta Trucks."
You won't need just a master cylinder, you need a  "BRAKEMASTER"....and believe me, Geoff is just that...Don't fool with local parts places....If they do have the correct part, which is doubful, they probably got it from Geoff. He supplies many places throughout the US and Canada. Even if you just call him...He will advise you on what is available in you hometown...."Geoff knows Brakes", especially the ones on these old beasts. Take it from experiance. I had one of the biggest truck part places in the Mid-West tell me they can get anypart if it's available...they screwed around for 4 weeks....and finally gave up..told me part is not available anywhere. Geoff had a brand new one to me in 3 days....I hope Rim has your correct master cylinder.
Ok I'm off the soap box. Good Luck with Stella....

Timmy

Sent: 6/17/2006 3:37 AM

Thanks for the input folks ...

Sent: 6/17/2006 3:43 AM

I sent an email to Alretta.  I will let you know ...