My first "What the he## is this?" post

Started by edog1973, September 17, 2016, 11:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

edog1973

OK, I found my first thing on the HR that I have no ideas what it is.  Please see pic below.  It's a round disk mounted under the chassis above the drive shaft.  It has wires running from it but I have not traced them back to a source yet. 

My first guess... The motorhome was previously own by Doc. Brown and this is where the Flux Capacitor mounts.  Your best guess?

joev

My best guess is it has to do with the cruise control

Rickf1985

HandyDan

Rick is right.  It is part of the HWH leveling system. It controls the lights on the leveling controls.
1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

edog1973

Rick and Handy Dan earn the prize.  :)clap I traced the wires back to the light box for the leveling system.  The PO told me "The jacks work fine, but if you go by those lights you'll probably be sitting at 45 degrees when all the lights are on".  I've confirmed that the jacks work fine, but the lights don't seem to indicate any semblance of level.  Is there supposed to be a cover over it?  Are replacements available?  I'll probably just use regular levels, but if I can get it working again easily it might be worth it.

jmerritt

Chances are you can get a replacement from HWH. I did for my A&E system that HWH now provides support for.

legomybago

That sensor needs to be level. You adjust it using the 3 screws. Manually level your rig, then get underneath with a torpedo level and level the sending unit.
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

CapnDirk

I have an HWH system on mine.  Info I got on setting it up was to put a torpedo level or two (right angle to each other) on the freezer floor.  Level the coach to this. then adjust that disk so all lights are out (the yellow ones that is.  red ones on if jack is extended).

Just spent a horrific day today trying to get a front jack working due to the valves in the control body not working.  I have repeatedly shot fluid on the ground, front of my house, and IN YO FACE getting a valve out because it had not release pressure entirely.  what a mess.
"Anything given sufficient propulsion will fly!  Rule one!  Maintain propulsion"

"I say we nuke the site from orbit.  It's the only way to be sure"

legomybago

HaHa! That just made me laugh....I agree with you on leveling the disk until the lights go out....That's the correct way
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

CapnDirk

Yea, my neighbor was laughing to.  I have one jack off and the line capped.  The fluid was put in a container.  I decided to put it back in the reservoir. but this technically overfilled it when I was working with it the pump had no place to put it when fluid returned but out the vent/fill in top which was pointing through the grill at the house. 

Got it back together yesterday but still no right front jack.  It is not frozen, but I can crack the line with the pump running (at the jack) and nada.

Will start a thread on that.
"Anything given sufficient propulsion will fly!  Rule one!  Maintain propulsion"

bluebird

Quote from: CapnDirk on September 26, 2016, 10:42 AM
Yea, my neighbor was laughing to.  I have one jack off and the line capped.  The fluid was put in a container.  I decided to put it back in the reservoir. but this technically overfilled it when I was working with it the pump had no place to put it when fluid returned but out the vent/fill in top which was pointing through the grill at the house. 

Got it back together yesterday but still no right front jack.  It is not frozen, but I can crack the line with the pump running (at the jack) and nada.

Will start a thread on that.
That will most likely be the valve, either on the 4 stick or the joystick system, if all others work. HWH can rebuild that valve at a reasonable cost. They did one for me several years ago.

CapnDirk

That was what I thought to.  I have the four stick, hence separate charge and relief valves for all four jacks.  I pulled both apart for the right front, and found no problems (according to HWH assembly drawings) yet running the pump with the right front valve open, results in no pressure to the jack (evidenced by cracking the fitting at the jack open).

A strange one.