New Idea

Started by Froggy1936, December 28, 2012, 12:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Froggy1936

Well i was going to replace the transmission and install TBI & serpintine belt syestem  But due to injuries i had to postpone then the weather changed So now have the plans I am going to rebuild the 1995 engine and in the spring replace both engine and transmission & complete wireing harness Thats the plan anyhow !
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

LJ-TJ

Man your a brute for punishment  D:oH!

Oz

are you still adding the TBI?
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

ClydesdaleKevin

Nice!  Rebuilding the motor is a great winter garage project, and then you'll have years and years and years of trouble free service!

Please take lots of pics!  I know the 350 is quite a different beast than the 454, but they are similar enough that they'll be quite helpful when it comes time someday to rebuild ours.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

DaveVA78Chieftain

I take it the area of PA you live in is not going to create any emissions testing issues for this conversion.

Dave
[move][/move]

Froggy1936

This Veh is emission insp exempt (11000 lb and over are exempt) My Winnie is rated at 11000 GVWR so it just makes it And mark the TBI is part of the 95 engine The thing is to use the computor that goes with the trans (4L80E 4 speed w OD and lock up TQ) I have to have the TBI and the Distributor & the speedometer  (they all work together) So its easier to do it all Changing the complete wireing harness incl underdash wireing is easier wih frt end off and engine out My son says im crazy to mess with a perfectly running veh just to mabey get a few more MPG But i almost had every thing repaired  so there was nothing left to do and whats the use of having a vintage veh if theres nothing to fix ?????  :)rotflmao :)rotflmao :)rotflmao :)rotflmao   Frank

Froggy1936

The Engine was in amazingly good condition for 239,000 mi.
Crank measured no wear bearings looked like they just came out of the box.
Pistons show slight wear but measure stock size no1 cly shows 001 wear but still within specs all others measure stock.
The only worn part was the camshaft journals and bearing, they were worn down to the brass Replaceing cam bushings without special tool is a bi--- . The tool is $ 300.00 for a 1 time use no way !  Frank

Froggy1936

Made as much progress as possible till the sun returns Im going to start on what i can do inside whenever temps sneak up for a day or two Frank

ClydesdaleKevin

Looking good Frank!  We have to do all our work outside at campgrounds (Renfaire campgrounds, RV type campgrounds, State and National Parks, BLM lands, etc)...so if you are chilly just remember...at least you are working in a paved garage, not a dirt or gravel or woodchipped campsite, level or no...lol!  And those dang fire ants when you are on your back in the south in the dirt really really suck!

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.