New motor home with a bit of a shimmy

Started by tinbender71, May 18, 2016, 10:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tinbender71

Hey, just bought a 1987 Fleetwood Bounder on a P30 chassis. I had a terrifying drive home with it when I bought it two weeks ago.

Since then, I have put it on a supersteer bell crank mount on driver side, a new steering damper, and repacked the front wheel bearing.

I find no play in steering, and all ball joint and bushing seem tight. Wheel bearings were a little loose. I also raised tire pressure to 70 lbs, was 60. It also has new tires on it.

Now this has helped tremendously! It is much, much better! However, I still have a little shimmy in the steering wheel,

Tomorrow, I'm going to have the front tires rebalanced and see if this might help.

Any thoughts?

Rickf1985

Tire balance will definitely cause a shimmy but be sure to have the shop check t see if the wheels are straight also. Mine were all bent radially for some reason. I found brand new ones destined for power service trucks that were never mounted on the trucks and they were even crooked. The guy at the tire place that was selling them could not believe it either since he himself picked them up new from the dealer.