Exterior Paint Recommendations

Started by MSN Member, February 10, 2010, 07:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cakeman2253

How about getting it wrapped. I see them doing this to race cars, trucks, etc. Wonder how much that would cost.
God grant me calm seas, A helpful wind, A good catch, And a safe return home

JDxeper

Alot more than a can of paint and a roller.  D:oH! :(  I started checking but when it got over a grand, I lost interest.  Need smooth surface also. :(
Tumble Bug "Rollin in MO" (JD)

ovlo

I just got a 73 winnebago brave.  I raised my hand too many times at an auction.

anyhow its in pretty good shape but the paint is rough on the outside.  I dont have much in this camper and dont want to put a lot into the paint job.   can i just clean it and roll on a house paint or rustoleum paint. 

anyone have any advice or tips for getting this camper to look the way it should

k94536

--
Those who risk nothingâ€"do nothing, achieve nothing, become nothing!
------------------------------------------------------
"Light travels faster than sound.
That's why some people appear to be smart until you actually hear them speak."

dgapilot

If you do it yourself, remember that prep is about 90% of the job.

eddie

I JUST painted my 74. It took about 60 hours for me to sand it properly, remove all of the old caulking, re caulk it, mask it, and paint it. I'd have never thought it would've and I own a shop where we do small paint projects! He looks extremely good and dialed in now. Just a lot of work. I sprayed him with a single stage paint. It covers really nice and hide all of the sanding marks!! Hope that helps-John

http://www.flickr.com/photos/apexautospa/8097757680/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/apexautospa/8097747149/
www.apexautospa.com

Check it-Boom

ovlo

eddie   your paint job looks great.   started on the stripping of the caulking today its going to take a while and i am running out of nice weather fast this season.  i will see if i can get some pictures up of her

ClydesdaleKevin

We painted our first RV, The Ark, with Rustoleum Professional paint, and it came out great, even though we brush painted it!  Rustoleum Professional is self leveling and most of the brush strokes disappeared as the paint dried.  With a roller, it would come out smooth as glass.  Its a great high gloss paint that will last forever, and comes in gallons.  Not a lot of color choices though...Black, White, Brown, Red, and Green in the gallons.  Not cheap per gallon, about 30 bucks, but its a great paint and we only had to go one coat.  The white is a brilliant white, and the green, which we used for the stripes, is a nice forest green.  In the few years we owned the Ark, the paint stayed nice and shiny and the white stayed its brilliant white color.  I highly recommend that paint if you are going to do it yourself with rollers.  Available at Home Depot and Lowes so its easy to find in the gallon size.
Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Oz

The last several posts, starting with the question by "ovlo", have been added to the original topic since it covers it very well.  Please read the first page of this topic.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

DELTA912

What would you use on Fiberglass, Resin?

Later on I plan to repaint my RV as well, in the all ever bright YELLOW.
Found an RV. 1976 Dodge spotsman W/ 360
Family Wagon by Travco!

tiinytina

Since our RV was painted by a friend who owns a marine repair shop... he used AWLGRIP marine grade paint on both the aluminum sides and the fiberglass end caps.... to which some resin/glass repair was completed prior to painting her.... Pricey paint but... never have to wax it and won't fade....

Tina

Hi from Gone to the Dawgs! 1987 Tiffin Allegro in Deale MD. CW Rocks!!!

Bigjohnk99

I just painted the water heater door and exterior furnace cover. I used Rustoleum spray in the Antique White color. Matched my old paint almost exactly. Don't have the guts to paint the entire rig though. Admire those who do.

emoney

Great thread, and timely in my case as I'm about to just headfirst into painting my rig.  I believe I've settled on the Rustoleum roller method that's been so well documented across the 'net.  As of today, it's "Tan & Black".  We will see what tomorrow brings, lol.

Rambunctious

I'm a house painter and I'm going to paint my RV. I took all of the old flaking stripes and decals off with a 3M stripe removal wheel. I used a grinder/polisher on low speed and the stripes came right off without damaging the RV's surface. So now it's time to paint. I was planning on using my airless sprayer to apply a coat of top quality self priming exterior Acrylic house paint. I know Acrylic sticks to anything with proper preparation. My RV has a fiberglass corrugated surface.

Any feedback or suggestions would be appreciated.  :)ThmbUp

Mental72

I need to do a quick and dirty paint job on my 20X8, it's basically the same shape as a 72 Winnie Brave of the same size.When I bought it, I found out the original owner's wife didn't like the color, and decided to paint it. It's painted with house paint, so you can see all the fun little brush lines. I'm planning on doing a real paint job on it, but for now, I need to slap some primer grey on her...I'm asking for any suggestions for what type of paint, like spray cans or even just rolling it on, I don't have a sprayer, like I said, quick and dirty. I make fun of my RV being a brick, but I don't think I've ever taped something with as many straight lines, there's not a single curve on her...lol.Thanks guys
Don't mess with Iowa farmboys....we're a special breed.

pvoth1111

I would remove all the house paint......car paint wont like latex.....or just continue with house paint...
We call our coach "Charlie Brown"

joev

just got done painting my winnie  used tremclad white paint  used 1 gallon can but I sprayed it thinned it down with varsol used about 1 liter to 1 gallon  here is a pic of her finished

Mental72

Don't mess with Iowa farmboys....we're a special breed.

davecaprita

Probably $200+/- in materials depending on what you choose. House paint will be more economical than decent automotive paint but if you don't want to get sooo involved in the process, talk to your local Sherwin-Williams guy and stay with house  paint.  You may want to (or have a friend help) and run over it once with a low grit sand paper to smooth out what you can then tape off the things you can with blue painters tape, unscrew the things that unscrew (like marker lights, fillers or vents) and let'em hang (paint behind them not on them), roll on a primer that will work with the house paint and if its a good one, many but not all of the brush strokes will be minimized.  A smooth knap roller should do the trick for a smoother finish.  Stay away from darker colors (as they magnify imperfections and dents) and really consider whether to add any of the odd combinations you see sometime.  It may seem cool when you do it but when its time to trade up or sell later in life, many potential buyers just ask "what were they thinking?"  You know, like that bad tattoo that seemed like a good idea at the time [/size] . Look to lighter earth tones or off whites. An egg shell finish or something close will be make it easier to spray off road grime than some of the matte or flat finishes.  You'll have to decide which you like best.  Whatever you do, it's not permanent.  If you don't like the finished product... do it again. 

Oz

Mental,

Your  i??  has been added to this, existing topic.  Please read it from the beginning.  Lots of great already posted to check out.

:)ThmbUp
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

LJ-TJ

It will take you just as long to do a wam, bam thank you mam job as it will to take your time to do the job right. Lets face it if the jobs worth doing,  it's worth doing  right the first time. The job your taking on is a big job no matter how you look at it. Hm? Try taking some Spray Nine and spray it on the paint and it should wipe the paint  right off and then you have a clean surface to start with.

yvan

Another option would be plastidip. Easy DIY instalation, thousands of possible Colours.
Yvan

Proud Eyebrow RV owner since 2014

xerofall

Can I ask for your opinion?

I want to remove some custom painted things like the previous owner's "Hobo Hilton" and the old "Good Sam" decals s

Can I just quickly tape off that small area, or would you recommend doing the entire area? Would you recommend sanding those areas down, then painting, or just do a quick cover up. My RV is an ugly girl, I'm not looking to win any beauty pageants... but just want some of the goofy stuff covered up.

Rickf1985

Decals you can get off with a heat gun and a razor blade. Be very careful with the blade and a very shallow angle and slowly cut the adhesive while you pull out on the decal. There are also those rubber decal remover wheels, I have never used them but others on here have had good luck with them. Do NOT paint over a decal, it might lift, It will crack and peel and you will see what you painted over almost as well as if you did not paint it.

Jonbbrew

I am getting on my TO-DO list to repaint my green on my Indian. Still debating about spray or roller....dont really want to rattle can it. Still thinking Hm? But, has anyone figured out which green is the closed to the Winnebago green in the rustoleum line? i??
Keep Er' Goin' Eh!

Jonathan