70 (or maybe 71) Commander Newbie

Started by Acuda4me, August 30, 2012, 06:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Acuda4me

Okay, I take possession of a very dirty, much neglected 1970 Dodge Commander tomorrow!
I've been a lifelong MOPAR man and been trailer camping for a few years, so I am hoping to fix up and restore this old coach to replace my 24' Camper my Ex is getting in the divorce! I had the supposedly nonrunning 413 purring like a kitten with just a length of wire, a can of starting fluid and some patience in about 10 minutes.

Any words of wisdom, warnings, blessings would be greatly appreciated.

OldEdBrady

Whatever works now may not tomorrow.  what doesn't work now MIGHT work tomorrow.  Be prepared!  And welcome.

Oz

You're not alone, swimming in uncharted seas!  You're following in the wake of many before you so there's plenty of "words of wisdom" everywhere you look.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

ClydesdaleKevin

Welcome to the forum!  The 413 is arguably one of the best engines Dodge ever came up with for a motorhome...have fun with it!

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Acuda4me

Thanks everyone! I'm now a Member so I can post some pics. Opinions anyone?
PS: What's up with that grill? It looks like someone cut up a wrought iron fence.

Oz

LOL!  Indeed.  The "funky" designs just cease to amaze, yes?

tiinytina

Like the Edsel... someone, at some point, thought it looked nifty.....  what they were smokin' at that point, or maybe a long too much caffeine stint at the drawing board... who knows!  :)rotflmao

Tina
Hi from Gone to the Dawgs! 1987 Tiffin Allegro in Deale MD. CW Rocks!!!

DonD

Don and Mary
2000 TC1000 Bluebird bus conv.

Acuda4me

It begs for ANY style grill, IMHO. I think I'll see if I can retrofit a later style commander front grill onto it, eventually.

ClydesdaleKevin

LOL!  Keep it!  Its unique, and actually pretty neat looking since its so unusual.  Looks like you'll get plenty of airflow to the radiator at least, sort of like my Jeep!   :)rotflmao

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

LJ-TJ

Hey Mate. Good looking ride. The X eh! Now we can call you happy feet. She'll never know how to catch you or where to catch you. :)rotflmao Got any interior shots? Love the rig,great lines. You can pick up raw material to make a billit grill. Welcome aboard. The only dumb question here is the one you didn't ask. Hm?

Acuda4me

Thanks, everyone. I PLAN on keeping it, the question is what to do with that grill when I get around  freshening up the outside? For the life of me, it looks like some cut up a wrought-iron fence and spray painted it silver.  I'll get some interior pictures, but it's VERY rough  (I bought it from a surfer-boy and they apparently LOVED their stickers). The good news is it looks like someone went ape with contact paper over the original walls... it's peeling off in sheets and seems to have preserved the original wood quite well.

Oz

Easy one for the grill...

Take off either the vertical or horizontal ones, paint them black.  Cover the entire opening with stainless steel mesh.  You can get all kinds of sizes on eBay alone.  It'll look perfect.

gothboy

I remember my first time out camping in an RV. My dad just got a bigger rv, it was a 70 commander, just like that one. On the way back from glamis it was sooo foggy we had to drive like 20 mph. The first thinbg dad did when we fgot back was install fog lights. Ironically, it was never foggy again, the lights never got used lol.  I loved camping in that commander. rad rig.

Acuda4me

Cool. If you unearth any old photos......