Swapping fuel tanks?

Started by dirtfan85, November 05, 2013, 06:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dirtfan85

Not sure if this goes here, but here goes. Has any one tried or thought of taking a fuel tank off of a newer motorhome & putting on one of our vintage units? I am thinking about it just to get rid of the tank selector valve which I am thinking does not work & only having to fill one side of the coach. Any thoughts? Or having a custom tank made. say around 80 gallons.

LJ-TJ

Have you considered in stalling a electric fuel selector and switch. Might I be so bold as to suggest you climb under the rig and find were selector switch is. Pull the one line off,plug it off and try and run your rig. If it runs then that line and tank are working fine. Then pull that line and attach the line you pulled and try that. If it works fine then it's the selector valve. Maybe consider installing a electric fuel selector in.

dirtfan85

My rig does have 2 tanks. The right side tank fuel gauge does not work & I also think my selector valve is also not working. I will check both of them in the spring. Years ago I a Chevy truck with dual tanks. Replaced both the selector switch on the dash & valve under the truck. Was going to work one day when the truck quit running long story short, dash switch was showing I was running on the left tank but was really running on the right. since then have not been a fan of the dual tank setups. unless its like my Kenworth. It pulls out of the left side & the right side manifolds over.