front hub removal

Started by The_Handier_Man1, November 26, 2008, 04:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Handier_Man1

Sent: 7/2/2005 10:52 PM

hi guys,
i am trying to remove the front hubs on my 73 m350 indian. the manual i have just says to remove the front grease caps to get to the large nut and cotter pin. i have tried everything to get this thing off but to no avail! it looks almost like it has threads on it? i thought these just press in and out. it has a big nut shape but the corners are kind of round. not like from slipping wrench but like it was made that way. it is at least 21/4". has anybody done this before? it is inset in the hub so its kind of hard to pry on it. i have never even seen a socket that big!
thanks for any help.
sal

Sent: 7/3/2005 3:43 AM

Sal, the '73 model axles did indeed have screw-in grease caps.  They are cast aluminum, pretty thick.  As for a wrench, you can use a spindle nut socket for a big truck -- NAPA carries them.

When I got my new spindles, I got them off of a '73 model donor axle.

John

Sent: 7/3/2005 9:30 AM

thanks john,
will try to locate that today.

Sent: 7/4/2005 10:52 AM

I had sucess in removing my grease caps, from my 73 M400 axle, using a small cold chisel to startle the grease cap turning. They are right-hand threads on both hubs, unlike the lug nuts. I hammered at an angle, only needed to move them a fraction of an inch, then my Large channel-lock pliers would turn them. Be sure to clean and regrease both sets of those threads before you put it back.
I have socket wrenches larger than that grease cap, but mine are all for hex heads. The octal head is not needed for anything else I own, so I didnt want to spend the $$.

I deleted my first reply, because I messed up.

Sent: 7/5/2005 5:12 AM

You know Sal, I didn't want to tell you to do that because that wasn't the "proper" method....

But that is exactly how I got the ones on the donor axle off, too! 

John

Sent: 7/5/2005 7:05 AM

If you booger them up too bad, I have two extras, and the socket is cheap, I paid about $5 for my socket..... (it's NOT a forged socket, rather a sheet metal welded "dont use an impact gun" axle bearing socket)

When re-installing the cast cap, it is VERY easy to strip the cap threads. watch out that you don't have grit or something in the threads on the hub.

AND DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN the axle bearing nuts....Please! Or it'll be you sitting on the side of the road with a locked up wheel.... or melted spindle and the wheel in a ditch somewhere.....

End play in the front axle can NOT be solved by tightening a worn out needle bearing or cone.... besides.... the excessive end play is probably your kingpins anyway.

Tom

Sent: 7/5/2005 9:25 PM

Slantsixness said, "AND DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN the axle bearing nuts....Please! Or it'll be you sitting on the side of the road with a locked up wheel.... or melted spindle and the wheel in a ditch somewhere....."

Gee, I wouldn't know anything about that....  would I, Tom?   

John