Need Source for 440 Radiator

Started by The_Handier_Man1, November 17, 2008, 04:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Handier_Man1

Sent: 4/3/2005 3:04 AM

Hello,
We are searching for a radiator for our '78 Winnie Chieftain. We are quite uncertain if the one that was in it is even the right one....anyone have ideas, suggestions or a place to start? Whole top of ours blew out last fall.....
Thanks in advance!!

Sent: 4/3/2005 9:51 AM

I will presume you have the 440 engine; the 360s took different radiators.
The 78-79 dodge motor home parts catalog lists a 4037685 radiator for 1977 and 78 and 4117799 for 1979.
A radiator shop that supplied delivery trucks and commercial vehicles should be able to either get you one or repair yours. They might want to know your chassis series, i.e. M300, 400, 500, or 600. The MB300s were the class C chassis, and had different radiator part numbers. If you have a choice, take one that has more rows of tubes in the core. It will cost more too.
You might be able to get the 7 digit mopar number from the old radiator. It would be stamped on that radiator someplace; on the top tank, or theframe. It might be in a location inaccessible to see unless the radiator was removed first!
I advise replacing the top and bottom radiator hoses, the heater hoses, and the thermostat. The top radiator hose has a mopar p.n. of 3733605 I think, and the bottom hose a 3733606. Possibly also the rubber hoses that connect the transmission cooler lines to the heat exchanger in the bottom of the radiator.
You can get the proper kind of thermostat for your 440-3 or 413-1 from www.summitracing.com. Their part numbers are MRG-4366 for the 160f, MRG-4367 for the 180f, and MRG-4368 for the 195f thermostat. I called their 800 number, used my credit card, and the unit was in the mailbox 3 days later.
You can also get the equivalent thermostats online from www.stewartcomponents.com. On the lower part of their home page you can click on the picture of the thermostat. Their part number 305 seems to be the 180f one for the 440-3 and 413-1.
And while the radiator is out is the best time to work on the front of the motor. When my radiator was out I replaced my water pump, all belts, and the fan clutch â€" an important item that fails gradually over time. I later wished I had replaced my power steering pump high pressure hose, as it split open later that summer.
If you have the hydroboost brakes, I would recommend you replace the high pressure hoses on that too - if one of them splits open, you lose power steering, AND power brakes!
And write down the date and mileage all of this stuff is done, for the next owner, or for your own records if you keep the motorhome another 10 years or more.

Sent: 4/3/2005 12:09 PM

I believe the Dodge part number is cast or formed into the top tank of the OEM radiator , on the top by the fill if I remember . I believe the Oem radiator also has the second extended fill on the top tank . I have a good extra OEM top and bottom tank I salvaged off my old radiator ( the core was damaged and cloged ) if you can,t find replacements . Sea hag

Sent: 4/3/2005 12:22 PM

Thank you SO very much for the information! Its great to finally know just what in the heck we are looking for!! First winnie....just starting out...but we like it already!

Sent: 4/27/2005 12:02 PM

A good radiator shop might be able to recore your old radiator - depending on how much damage the tanks have.

Sent: 5/2/2005 10:08 AM

Check this out:  ebay item # 4547131234  It is a big block motorhome radiator.