Window awnings -- are they worth it?

Started by poppinjohnnies, December 11, 2008, 01:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

poppinjohnnies

Sent: 5/24/2005 11:33 AM

I stopped at a junkyard the other day when my wife (yeah, my wife!) spotted a couple of old winnies in the back section of the yard.  I was able to buy a couple of small parts that I needed, but my wife noticed that one of the hulks had a roll out window awning on one of the long side windows.  The fabric was decent and the guy shot me a $25 price.  My question is:  Is it worthwhile for me to buy this thing or is it a waste of time?  I don't know enough about RV life to tell if people actually USE window awnings very much.   

Derrek

Sent: 5/24/2005 12:05 PM

I have window awnings on my coach that I use almost everytime we are out. I like the awnings for several reasons... On bright sunny days, the awnings block direct sunlight and prevent a "greenhouse effect" which keeps the interior cooler. The awnings add privacy, due to the fact that with the awnings down, someone would have to stick their head up under the awning to see inside my coach. The awnings are small enough that they can be left open regardless of the wind (unlike the main awning). I also like the looks of the awnings.... 

If that window awning is in good condition and matches your coach, it sounds like a good deal for the price....

ClydesdaleKevin

Sent: 5/24/2005 8:13 PM

I agree with Eric, especially about the greenhouse effect.  If you are in a place with lots of trees and shade, its a moot issue...but if you do a lot of camping in the open, especially in hot climates, window awnings will keep your rig much cooler.  If they match your rig close enough, that's a pretty good price, so snag it up!

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Oz

Sent: 5/27/2005 4:07 AM

The WinneBeast had 3 of the original small awnings.  They were a really nice option, as the others said.  However, the material had really passed its life expectancy and started to deteriorate rapidly.  The return springs on two were very weak, and one I had to hand-roll back up completely... like a scroll.  Two of the plastic lower rod mounts also cracked and made 2 of them unusable because they couldn't be locked in place, so I had to remove them. 

Still, at a good price and in decent condition, you'll be glad you got them.  Someday, when I've whittled down the "to-do" list down toward it's end, "The Pharaoh's Chariot" will get a set of side window awnings for sure.

- Sob
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Slantsixness

Sent: 5/31/2005 1:32 PM

I had all 4 of the window awnings (two of the windows are covered by the main awning)(none for the kitchen window in my D20RG. (only a 12" window!!)

They were all in good shape, too, but the hardware to mount them up was made out of PVC water pipe and snaps. I thought the hardware was horrible, and although we did like them, I couldn't find better hardware, so they all went out in the trash.

Now I wish I'd kept them, even with the cheesy hardware!

Window awnings are nice, but if you're just camping or staying short term, they complicate the setup of the RV, and if you get those that don't roll up, then you have to find a place to store them when under way.... Not to mention that during a storm, they are just as, if not more, susseptible to wind damage, and taking them down quickly could be a hassle, too.

Maybe I'll get them next year!

Tom
Remembering My 72 D20RG Brave "Smurfbago" The old girl never let me down, and she's still on the road today. quick! get out the Camera... I spotted another junkyard full of Winnies...

Stripe

Hmm, thought this was a new thread.. ??? 

I was going to be all like, "Heck yeah they are worth it!  Wish I had at least one on my driver side bay window!"...  :D
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

Oz

It's a timeless thread.  So, it's always new.

:)
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

pvoth1111

I have awnings all around functional and nice looking...total of 5
We call our coach "Charlie Brown"

SLEETH

where does one go to buy a new(window) awning these days? i know, I know, this is a old thread. but what the  hey  it never hurts to ask

LJ-TJ

legomybago

I've had one RV with ZipDee window awnings, I loved them, they are a good investment if you ask me.
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy