Replacing or Rewiring Original Stereo Speaker system

Started by Beachcomber, August 29, 2010, 03:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beachcomber

Has anyone replaced the original speakers and wiring for a D25CL (or similar)? I've replaced the deck, but can not see any way to utilize the original wiring and fader without ripping up the roof where the wires are originally run. The wire colors are not consistent, and I'm not ready to take a chance on frying the new deck. I'm thinking of running new wires as discretely as possible, and just leaving the old wires as is. Any ideas out there? Thx

Oz

Hm?  You could try entwining some twine to the end of the old wire at the dash and pulling the original wire to see if enough space was left to be able to do the same with the new wire.  If it doesn't snag along the way, you should be able to do it that way.  And, if it doesn't go that way first, try tying the twine on the speaker end and go that way.  Be sure to entwine the ends and don't knot them. 
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

ibdilbert01

QuoteI'm not ready to take a chance on frying the new deck.

You could always do a continuity check to hunt the wires down.   At the speaker location, twist the wires together then at the head unit location start checking the pairs with the meter till you find continuity.  Then go back to the speaker location and untwist them then check them at the head unit location again, hopefully this time finding no continuity on the pair.

The issue I had was I replaced my speakers and head unit, and the existing wire wasn't heavy enough to handle the new system.   My wires were ran through the walls and I couldn't back pull them with a new wire.  I ran mine down through the floor, through some wire loom along one of the frame rails, then back up through the floor.  Luckily both of my speakers are mounted on a closet wall so I could hide my wires inside.   

While your doing all this work, you might want to consider hooking your new head unit to your house batteries if its not already hooked up that way.   That way if you choose to listen to the radio while camping you won't run your starting battery down.
Constipated People Don't Give a crap!

Beachcomber

Thanks for your input folks. The installation is now an done deal. Unfortunately, the original wires were secured at places within the walls and wouldn't budge. I decided to run brand new wires (same concerns about 30+year old wiring as ibdilbert01). Required drilling just two small holes in the ends of the cabinet above the sink, and you only see the slightest glimpse of wire if you know where to look. The main run of wire is from the front speakers to the new head unit under the dash, and through the side panels in the 'cab', up through the roof supports (which are U-channel, with pop off vinyl covers, through the back of the cabinets, through the removable panel above the stove fan/vent and into the wall space between kitchen area and the bedroom/lounge. I had to enlarge the openings for the speakers slightly both front and back, since technology has changed significantly since 1974 (well, duh!), but the end result looks clean and original, but the sound is above expectations, actually aided by the size of the motorhome. A lot of niggling little steps, no major surgery, and a huge improvement in listening pleasure. And to those who notice these things, yes, I do respect the quiet of nature and choice of music of my neighbors. With a little thought and much hands on tweeking, a very satisfying project. Thanks for listening!:)