Safe tow load for 1973 D20 - 440 engine?

Started by Madathlon, January 19, 2011, 07:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Madathlon

Madathlon
   CWO4 Motor Pool Chief (retired)
   Onan Master Installer/Service Tech
   Mercury Marine Golden Wrench
   OMC Master Marine Tech
   ASE Master Tech

ibdilbert01

With that big of an engine in that short of a rig I'd say you could pretty much tow just about anything. However you'll want to check the extended frame rails out under the rig.  You'll find there are 4 foot sections of frame butt welded onto the manufacturers frame near the rear.  Then they welded a square patch over the seams for added strength. 

Its my personal opinion that this is more than sufficient and under abnormal overloaded abuse should bend the frame rail and not brake off.  That being said, we had a member last year show us pictures of his frame rails broken off.   I feel the welds were faulty, and they looked pretty shotty in the pictures.  One picture it looked like the welder missed the seam all together.

Constipated People Don't Give a crap!

JDxeper

You can tow a bunch but stopping it maybe another question .LOL  Hm?
Tumble Bug "Rollin in MO" (JD)

Oz

A note on that frame incident.  That was a 1980s Elandan which was 36' or longer and has a significantly longer stretch of frame and coach weight behind the rear wheels than a little D20.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Madathlon

The frame is solid(thank god) and the hitch seems pretty solid also for some back yard job. So Id guess it tow my Focus with no issues then
Madathlon
   OMC Master Marine Tech
   ASE Master Tech

Lefty

From the factory, our D-27 was rated to tow 5,000lbs. using the factory mounted hitch...To be honest though, it would easily pull another 5,000lbs in weight using a tow dolly, and likely could hold 750lbs (15% tounge weight) if towing a regular trailer.... but as said, stopping it would be another matter entirely... Most states require anything being towed that weighs over 3,000lbs. to be equipped with it's own braking system... Some states limits are as low as 1,500lbs. So be sure to check in the state you live in first. There are aftermarket kits that you can have installed that will automatically apply the brakes in the towed car. A Focus is pretty small, and should be well under the 3,000lb mark...So you might be ok, but do make sure your coaches brakes are in excellent shape before adding the extra weight of a tow car.
I reserve the right to reject your reality and substitute my own...

Madathlon

Ya, I know of the brake needs, I have a old triple axle Boat trailer I converted into a truck hauler a few years back, the trailer has reactive hydraulic brakes, so that would never be a issue. But I do need an idea what the tongue weight and max load the RV can handle.
Madathlon
   OMC Master Marine Tech
   ASE Master Tech