Axle Flange Gasket for 86 Chieftain (with Dana axle)

Started by BrianB, February 02, 2016, 04:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrianB

For a 1986 Chieftain 31, with (I think) Dana 70 rear axle and JF9 disc brakes, does anyone know what the part number (or supplier) is for the gasket that goes on the cover
of the axle tube (out at the hub end)? This cover has only 5 bolts, not the more common 6 or 8 bolts.

I can't seem to find this anywhere. I went to the old-school auto parts store and even the paper catalog rack didn't have it shown.
Check out my RV trip planning & prep: http://alaska.boorman.us/

The movie Twister - that research instrument? Yeah, she figured it out.

lemortede

I have gone looking for that Gasket as well.
In the end I ended up using a Silicone designed for it.

Rickf1985

You can use RTV gasket maker, just don't use too much. You don't need it oozing into the bearings. Anything more than just enough to couat the surfaces will be wasted anyway.

I have gotten away with using a cardboard cereal box in a pinch for a lot of gaskets, that and Permatex #3 sealer. Go ahead and laugh but it works when you don't have what you need in the middle of nowhere. I have used cereal boxes for carb gaskets, thermostats, axles, differential covers. All held for several weeks till I got round to replacing them. Some held for much, much longer than that because they did not leak and I was not going to take it apart unless it did.

Rickf1985

Oh, You can also do it the right way and buy gasket material in sheets in all kinds of thickness's and materials. :)ThmbUp W%

EldoradoBill

I don't stock or use any of those gaskets in my day to day work; too many variations. (never seen a 5-hole unless I'm thinking of the wrong thing). Black or blue  RTV is the way to go. And don't worry about any getting inside the hub it won't hurt anything.

Bill

legomybago

RTV or Silicone work great.
Back in my young and hammer down days, I blew up my fair share of rearends in our dump trucks, when you pull the axles out in order to tow or even sometimes drive the truck home, you take a piece of cardboard and beat it over the hub studs, then bolt it down with the axle nuts, it keeps the gear oil from flying out and making a total mess while the wheels turn. This thread reminded me of this for some reason W%
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

Rickf1985

I can't remember ever seeing a five hole axle either. When I was doing heavy towing I had sets of axle ends that we had cut the axles off of and used them for when we had to tow a loaded rig that had blown a rear end or transmission. Just pull the axles and put the blank caps on and go.

DRMousseau

I've done much the same as Rick has,... hey, it works. Often much better than we expect! And sometimes of course, ya gotta tolerate the chuckles from a close friend or son-in-law when they see Land'o'Lakes on a gasket surface after 10yrs of service... but they jus don't know.

And being from "that era",... I've always had a preference for the proper Permatex product over the newer silicone stuff.
Welcome,..
To The Crazy Old Crow Medicine Show
DR Mousseau - Proprietor
Elixirs and Mixers, Potions and Lotions, Herbs, Roots, and Oils
"If I don't have it,... you don't need it!"