413 Engine Oil capacity

Started by The_Handier_Man1, November 17, 2008, 04:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ClydesdaleKevin

Sent: 5/6/2005 6:13 PM

I am very confused here from the posts...I was under the assumption that a 413 with an oil filter change took 8 quarts of oil.

Was I wrong?

My manual says six without a filter, 7 with.  Posts here vary from this, up to eight.

Let me preamble this by saying my dipstick only has ONE mark...no high or low...just one mark.  There is only one line scribed on my dipstick, not two.  Also, this is obviously the original dipstick with nothing broken off.

I changed the oil and filter, and based on what I read here, I added 8 quarts.  The oil comes to about 1 inch above the mark on my dipstick.

Its eight quarts right?

I only idled the engine, so I'm sure no damage was done, even if I overfilled it.  The question is, should I drain a quart out of it before running at speed?

I'm just in a quandary...

If there is only one mark on my dipstick, does this mark designate high, or low?

Is the bottom of the stick low?

Is the mark high?

Ahhhhhhhhh...no clue here.

Any input from the 413 owners?  What IS the full capacity of engine and oil pan for a 71?

If I'm wrong, will one extra quart (erring on the side of caution) hurt my engine?

Thanks!

Kev and Patti Smith
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

denisondc

Sent: 5/6/2005 10:42 PM

My copy of the service manual says to use 6 quarts in the sump, a 7th quart if you change the oil filter.
I doubt one extra quart would do any harm at all, and many members routinely put 7 quarts in the sump; plus the 8th one if doing an oil change. In your shoes I would not worry about it. If you find your oil pressure dropping (at high rpm) after running for a while at 55 mph or better, its a sign you have too much oil in the sump. It would return to normal oil pressure if you slow down.
When you change oil and put 5 quarts back into the sump - see where that level comes to on the dipstick.
That should be the -low- line. Put in quart #6, and see where the oil comes to - that would be the -full- line. Put in quart #7, and see where the oil line comes to. That would be what I would call the -max- line.
And there is no hurry, you can do this at the next oil change.
If your RV had been sitting for a couple of years, it might use oil faster for the first couple of thousand miles than it will as the oil control rings free up - so check the oil often at first when on a trip, until you learn its useage.
As far as I know, the normal sump on the 413s and 440s were all the same size and shape.
P.S. Mine used a quart each 500 miles for several years, slowly increasing the miles per quart, year by year. This year in my just completed 5 day drive of 2054 miles, it has only used about one quart.