power steering leak

Started by The_Handier_Man1, November 26, 2008, 08:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Handier_Man1

Sent: 6/27/2005 9:52 PM

My steering box on my 72 brave m300 chassis is leaking out of the adjustment screw. I adjusted it about a month ago and it was fine until yesterday, now its leaving big puddles on the ground. is there a gasket or something behind the locknut? any info would help. thanks..kenny

Sent: 6/27/2005 10:54 PM

There are 2 adjustment screws. One is on the side, a bolt with an allen wrench style head, and a locknut. I dont know if there is any gasket behind it, I dont think so, but it seems about bone dry on mine.
The other adjustment is the one on the top of the steering box, facing up to the end of the steering column. That has a seal that was leaking on mine, fast enough to use up a can of fluid in about an 8 hour drive. That seal can be replaced without dismantling the steering box internals, but I took it off the vehicle to do so. My lower back muscles arent young enough to want to work crouched in the wheel well beside the steering box.
If you didn't torque down the locknut on the adjusting screw that has the allen head, it will work its way loose. Im not sure the adjuster on the top of the steering box will, but I know it sure will leak.
If you havent replaced the high pressure hose to the steering box, I would advise doing so. Mine blew out one day, as I was backing up in my driveway - in almost a straight line. I was very glad it wasnt 1000 miles away from home. Very difficult to maneuver without that power steering!

Sent: 6/27/2005 11:37 PM

The adjustment on the side with the allen head bolt is where it is leaking from. When I did the adjustment, I tightened the locknut down tight. I was taking the winnie back to storage, and didnt have any tools to see if it was still tight, I will drive back over there tommorow and check it out. If it is tight, does anyone know where I should go from here? By the way, I will make sure I replace the high pressure hose, I'm sure it is probably original. thanks..kenny

Sent: 6/28/2005 3:10 PM

If that locknut is snug, all I can suggest is to see if there is a sealing surface or fiber washer under that locknut. There is an o-ring between the main unit body and the casting in which the adjuster and locknut are centered, but looking in the service manual picture, I dont see any seal on the adjuster screw itself. I figured there was only minimal fluid pressure behind that point; the slight pressure of the oil that was on its way back to the power steering pump, so to speak. You might look for any blockage in the low pressure return lines. A kinked line, a gummy looking hose, that sort of thing