Where is the chassis fuse box? 1983 Brave

Started by Alexarae, August 20, 2015, 11:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alexarae

Hello...we have a 1983 Brave. We are having trouble finding the fuse box. The manuel says it is left of the steering column but we can't find it. Any help will be greatly appreciated.  Thank you very much.

M & J

Use the search feature, many have had the same quest. If I recall, its located under the dash to the left of the steering column high up and you have to be a contortionist to get to it.
M & J

Alexarae

Thank you so much. My husband is looking for it now. Safe travels  :)

DaveVA78Chieftain

[move][/move]

Alexarae

Thank you so much. We have the same manuel and the fuse box is still no where to be found :( We where out again today looking for it. We looked up leaning through the drivers door under the dash. We contorted upside down in the captains chair and removed the carpeted wooden panel  to the left of the steering column and pulled the 8 screws from the instrument cluster array pulled it out several inches and looked around. We still can't find it. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated because turn signals, flashers and some guages are not working. We will be full timers soon and trying to get it ready. Thanks again.

Rickf1985

Mine is out under the hood in front of the driver but mine is an 89 and from what I have learned even within the same years they put the fuses in different locations on different models.

I looked up that manual and it mentions under the radio on a class A, did you check there?

DaveVA78Chieftain

From a post I found on IRV2

QuoteThank you Dave
Got a chance to go looking today. Turned the key on, turned on the signal lights, and followed the sound. Took about 2 minutes.
There was a pull off panel under the radio. I feel a little silly that I didn't think of your idea. Worked great.

You said flasher did not work so I could not use that as a clue.

[move][/move]

Alexarae

Thank you all so much. We still can not locate it. We looked under the radio we pulled to whole panel off we don't have the generator switch on that panel. We looked under the hood and all around and under the steering column. It is driving us crazy not sure where else to look.  The only fuses we can find are on the converter. They are for the water pump/cabin lights etc.. We will keep looking. Thanks again for all your help we really appreciate it. Safe Travels

Alexarae

FOUND IT!!!!!!   Cold drinks all around for all the help!!!!! Thanks Again. This may help others....  How we found it was traced the wire from the cigarette lighter figuring it should be on a 20 amp fuse. It led right to the fuse box. Dave's picture shows it perfectly. It was impossible to see from removing the whole radio panel and we couldn't see a way to get the panel below the radio off it was hard and fast. After prying wiggling and more prying the carpeted panel broke free lo and behold with the flashlight we found it. Yay Dave  :)clap !!!!  I owe Ya' I feel like an idiot now since the picture you put up showed right how to get to it  :-[ Great job Thanks again everyone for all your help.

DaveVA78Chieftain

Now if'n you join the site, you can get the 1983 P30 service manual and chassis wiring diagram for free!

Dave
[move][/move]

Alexarae

Dave,  We did join today just waiting for it to go through. We will look up that manuel and diagram. Went through the fuse box today and found out we have license plate lights finally..lol. Still having problems with the back up lights. We can also read the display on the radio now. Thank you very much for all your help. Safe travels.

DaveVA78Chieftain

Good luck and ask if you cannot work it out. 
[move][/move]

Alexarae

Thanks again we will be on here quite a bit I think. Almost everything on this rig needs help. This is a fantastic site. We are very glad to have found it.  :)clap

ClydesdaleKevin

Outstanding!  Welcome to the best vintage RV site on the interwebs!

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Alexarae