Does my furnace need electric to run?

Started by Photoman, December 11, 2008, 10:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Photoman

Sent: 12/10/2003 3:49 PM

Kids are coming home for holidays and we were going to sleep in the bago as we're short on bedrooms.  It's plugged into 110 house outlet.  I have the auto battery installed in case I have to move the winney, but I've taken the coach battery out for the winter.  I tried to light the furnace, but couldn't seem to get the glow coil to glow.  Is it necessary to have the coach battery hooked up for the furnace to work properly?  I have the furnace switch set to external 110 power, both propane valves open, propane in tanks, and the tank valve open.  Suggestions?  I had the furnace running last summer, so know that it works...or at least it did.  Thanks.
Photoman 
Also owned a 1972 Winnebago D22 Indian

Sea Hag

Sent: 12/11/2003 10:34 AM

I think the furnace still needs 12 Volt to operate try re installing the coach battery - Although if you are hooked to shore power your converter should be supplying the 12V power . ----Sea Hag

mightybooboo

Sent: 12/11/2003 11:22 AM

clean the fuses,that was my furnace bugaboo.Mine looked clean ,they were loose and had a fine corrosion you could barely see.  Clean and tight is a must.
BooBoo

DaveVA78Chieftain

Sent: 12/12/2003 4:11 PM

Ok, how many of you out there have a coleman furnance with some sort of a electrically operated heater coil for lighting the pilot?  Also, how many have a 12VDC/110VAC model?  This thread is the only place I have seen anything like that.  All other furnance info I have read either had a pilot light (match or piezo lit) or a DSI board style arrangement.  First I have ever heard of 110VAC mode and a glow coil.  Reminds me of an RC or dual control wire airplane (glow plug).   

Dave
[move][/move]

Sea Hag

Sent: 12/15/2003 9:48 AM

My 76 also has the original coleman the instuction manual lists a switch for 110 \12v  I believe it was for blower motor application ( not really sure what the advantage would be , maybe to keep from drawing 12v from other curcuits as my lights dim slightly as blower runs ) - My gas contol valve has a connector for an optional glow type heatercoil  to light the pilot according to the wireing diagram . the coil and valve still need 12volt run even if switched to 110v position - a PO has replaced the switch on mine and elminated the 110 volt operation . Did you try to put your coach battery back in ?------ Sea Hag