What is an Oil Bath Air Cleaner?

Started by The_Handier_Man1, November 21, 2008, 03:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Handier_Man1

Sent: 9/16/2004 1:18 AM

Rig starts, stops, and does not overheat.  I have addressed several ignition issues including plugs, wires, coil, rotor and exhaust. But my question is.  what is this oil bath air cleaner all about.  I can not find any information concerning maintenance of the air cleaner.  does it need maintenance. if so how?  the sticker on the side of air cleaner is gone. 

Sent: 9/16/2004 5:20 PM

I would recommend you toss it and pick up an aftermarket air cleaner from your local auto store. Oil bath air cleaners are almost useless in keeping incoming air clean.

Sent: 9/16/2004 7:04 PM

Not true, Oil air cleaners keep dirt & dust from engine better than any paper filter ever could, they are however not enviormental friendy... Try using a paper filter on a heavy machine like a combine or a tractor, harvesting a field, or even a lawn mower (they all have a modified oil type), the dirt and dust would stop you in your tracks. If your ever in extreem dusty conditions, you'd wish you had an oil bath filter, but putting and after market filter on it won't hurt anything, you may have to make some carb. air adjusments, with the oil bath, you'll never have to buy a filter again, just keep it full & oil clean,  and about ever 5000 miles, or accoring to conditions, change and clean mesh screen and add new oil. Also the little bit of oil it sucks down the carb will lub the valves.
Timmy

Sent: 9/17/2004 3:41 PM

Sorry to disagree with you but it is true. They don't use paper filters on combines and such because they would clog up from the dirt they would catch before you could finish the job. Then your motor would shut down from lack of air. In short paper stops the dirt. The oil bath lets most of the dirt in. Just look at it. You can practically see right through them. Lots of air gaps in there for the dirt to go streaming in. You cant see through paper filters. You change them more often but nothing out filters them. Then again your engine wont die because of the oil bath cleaner.

Sent: 9/17/2004 6:09 PM

Does the oil bath air cleaner system consume oil from the engine?  is this why I use 1/2 qt of oil every day? It does not seem to drip or burn oil that I can tell.

Sent: 9/17/2004 10:35 PM

KEVSWS6 Yes, your right paper to a degree stops dirt but, even the new systems have an oil rapp (foam soaked with oil) over the paper or media, to help stop excess dust and not clog the media in filter.
j_b_smith No the oil bath filter has a housing kind of looks like a 1 or 2 liter can) usually with a mark on it (full line) that you just add oil to. It has nothing to do with engine oil system. The housing was usually three pieces, a cover, and bowl (to hold the oil) and a mesh screen inside at the top of the full line. The housing usually conected to the carb opening via a pipe of some sort, and the housing sat off to the side for easy access, and so, you wouldn't spill oil down the throat of the carb when removing the housing.
Timmy

Sent: 9/17/2004 10:57 PM

JB;

I am guessing that you have a Ford 300 in your rig. If that is the case, that motor was used from the sixties to the nineties. If you want to change it over to a paper filter, you should have no problem finding a late 70's van with that engine in a junkyard. How many miles are you driving a day? Half a quart a day is excessive. You might be looking at motor work soon. 

Dave

Sent: 9/18/2004 6:58 AM

From the small amount of dirt I find in the air cleaners of my various cars after travelling tens of thousands of miles, I have to conclude their major benefit is stopping insects or leaf bits.
My driving is on paved roads, seldom in the desert or dusty areas where keeping sand/dirt out would be essential. I seldom change air filters, and have never noticed a different in miles per gallon. And I calculate mpg on every car I drive as an aid to knowing when it needs work.
I put 120,000 miles on my 1968 BMW motorcycle before I changed its air filter for the first time, and now 70,000 miles later it doesnt look very dirty yet. 

Sent: 9/18/2004 8:31 AM

I had an 18 wheeler with a big oil bath air filter system and it worked great keeping the large volumes of air clean to the 8V71 2 stroke Detroit Diesel. Here's how it works: Oil bath air cleaners draw air down a center tube where it strikes the surface of oil in the oil reservoir. As the air strikes the oil reservoir, most of the particles  in  the  air  do  not  make  the  180-degree-upward turn. The dirt particles remain trapped in the oil. As the air continues upward and passes to the filter element, the smaller particles that bypassed the oil are trapped. The air keeps the filter element soaked with oil by creating a fine spray as it passes the reservoir. The air then makes another 180-degree turn and enters the intake system of the  engine
I've attached a cut away picture as an example<NOBR></NOBR>
Pace

Sent: 9/18/2004 10:42 AM

Thanks for everyones opinions, facts, and pictures.  I think I will keep the original oil bath air cleaner in tact.  And save for engine overhaul at a later date.   

Sent: 9/23/2004 6:40 PM

If I remember correctly the oil bath he has will not have a paper element. You guys are talking about completely different setups. They got smart on the commercial application early on but not the consumer side of that era. Its just oil and steel wire mesh like stuff.

Sent: 9/24/2004 12:30 AM

Yes. your desciption is right on.  It's weird wire mesh stuff that is stuffed in an air cleaner container thingy.   I will send pics soon.

Sent: 9/26/2004 6:11 PM

Cant say how well they work on fine dust,but have used one(my VW transporter for one) and talked to folks who have used them(my Dad swore by em) and they say they are really good.Mine the oil is downright grimey with a pratically mud coating of dirt on the inside cannister,and gritty oil.So I think it works pretty good,but again,how fine it filters I dont know.Cool part is,just clean it out and refill with the used motor oil at oil change time.I would surely keep it.
IMHO,YMMV
BooBoo

Sent: 9/28/2004 3:06 PM

I must admit I still have one on the old Onan but I keep meaning to change it out. I can practically hear the sand in the cylinders!

Sent: 9/28/2004 9:46 PM

"I must admit I still have one on the old Onan but I keep meaning to change it out. I can practically hear the sand in the cylinders"

My anecdotal is the best running,most reliable engine on my VWs has an oil bath,want to know your experience too.

How old is the ONAN and how many hours on it,and how does it run?Im curious if its holding up.

BooBoo

Sent: 9/29/2004 6:34 PM

Its a 1972 2.5 Onan, single cylinder 1800 rpm unit. I have no idea how many hours it has on it, no hour indicator. Dad never used it when camping and its been in the family since the early 80's.

It runs good now because I put some major time in it. It has a static compression of 99 psi. Seems low but is within spec. We camp mostly at Glamis, Gordon and Butter Cup areas. I'm afraid with the dust the hangs in the air paper is the way to go.