Motorhome leveling tips & tricks?

Started by Akhenaten, November 21, 2008, 08:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Akhenaten

Sent: 8/7/2002 9:04 AM

Hello everyone
       I am new to the group and a proud owner of a 1973 brave which I recently purchased. I took it out for the first time last weekend to a local campground and the first problem I ran into was leveling my rig. The guy I purchased it from had some blocks of wood to level it with and lucky for me I added a few more just in case.I ended up raising the rear of the motorhome by about 5 inches.Being my first time out I am not sure but would assume that most sites are more level than these and raising one end by this much is a rare occurance.I looked on the camping world website at several different leveling products but most had poor reviews.Has anyone used a product that they would recommend? Or mabye just some good ole 2x10s? Anything short of a fully automatic hydralic leveling system that would cost twice as much as I paid for my rig.Any tips or tricks would be appreciated.

Sent: 8/7/2002 1:43 PM

On our 1800 mile trip we learned to use 2 X 6s to level. A campground in Virginia City, Nevada, loaned us our first set - so I assume it is unusual to find perfectly level campsites. Later in the trip, a camphost gave us six of these (about 18" long each). Two tips:

--Stagger the blocks to create a ramp to drive forward onto. (If you try to back onto blocks you will get pegged as a first-timer)
--Obviously, put blocks under both of the dual rear tires.

Jack L

Sent: 8/7/2002 5:44 PM

In one motor home we use a shovel that works great we have levels in the frig very important because even if you have the yellow levels on the dash it dont mean your refrig will run the only campground we found was one in Kroker Va or Coloniall Williamsbburg they had cement pads to go onto did not need blocks but never leave home without that and also an extra cord in case you cant reach

Sent: 8/8/2002 8:26 PM

this might sound crude but, i use two old style bumper jacks and i've notched all four corners of my bumpers for the jack to lock into. you can easily move the "house" three or four inches to level it out. i also carry lynx levelers and a shovel but digging down is sometimes frowned upon. if i'm out on the beach i always dig down to level.a

Sent: 8/8/2002 8:40 PM

Thanks to everyone who responded! Some very good points were brought up, such as checking to ensure the fridge is level not the motorhome.And supporting both sets of rear wheels.I was wondering if anyone would say that they used jacks and now I know at least one person does.I had thought about maybe using a bottle jack and several sets of heavy jack stands.This would not be nearly as easy as driving onto some leveling blocks.Thanks again for the ideas.

Sent: 8/9/2002 6:09 PM

Seems like a lot of work you can get jacks fromCamping world I once asked my husband why we dont get themm for the 31 ft pace arrow and he looked at me like I had 5 heads some times I do.  It very important to keep a level in the frid and a spare one in case you or your wife loses it amongst the food that we all cram in those little fridges it is always my fault that he cant find it we also keep a thermomoter in ours to check the temp after you switch from propane to electric it takes time to re adjust but we still have the same frig in our 75 winnie if it gets to warm in the frig we  open the outside door for awhile for things to  cool down  but it gets very hot at the beach sometimes  good luck with your adventures Beach

Sent: 9/10/2002 12:12 PM

Hello All
     I have been using 2x6's to level my rig and this works but is still a pain. You have to continue to drive on and off with every change until you get it right.I have been checking out other motorhomes everywhere we go to continue to get leveling ideas. The first thing that I noticed was that very few people even bother to level their rigs.I asked one guy what he used to level his motorhome and he said 2x6's and then told me that the only time you need to level is if the fridge stops working. I was shocked by this statement. To me that would be like saying if the transmission is slipping so bad that the motorhome will not move then check the transmission fluid. From all of the research that I have done on the internet the people who know will agree that if the fridge is off level for more than one hour you are asking for trouble. I finally came up with an idea that I think will work well and is relativley simple and inexpensive. I went to harbor freight tools and bought four trailer jacks (the jacks located on the front of a trailer to raise or lower the tongue so the tongue can be lowered on to the ball) The jacks are rated at 2000lbs each and I welded brackets on each one so I can simply hook one under the front and rear bumpers on each corner of the motorhome. You could weld them directly to the bumper if you like.This seems to be a much easier way to level and also seem to make the rig more stable. The jacks are $20 each. I hope this info can be of help

Sent: 9/11/2002 3:49 AM

We just got back from our fist trip(1600 miles) and this is what i did. I cut 3 2x6s 21"long ,3 2x6s 18" long, 3at 14" & 3 at 10" long, all with 45s on each end to make them easyer to drive up on.  If I needed more than an inch&1/2 I would stack a 14" ontop a 18" ontop a 21".this would give me 4 1/2 ", I only needed 6" once.I found that with the 45s and stacking progresivly shorter I could back onto them or drive on to them with ease. After a few times I got good at estimating how many i needed to get it ballpark, then I would put my jackall on the low corner or end and give it a few clicks and presto =level. I like your idea with the jacks as I am thinking along the same lines . My idea is that you only need 3 jacks to jack up the 3 low corners (but then the 4th jack would eliminate all suspension movement so if you are going to buy 3 why not get4), But i would still carry some blocks to get it with in 2or3" of level as you dont want to jack more than 3 or 4" on the back or you will loose traction for your Ebrake! Nothings more scary than having some one parked across from you with both back wheels jacked in the air!

Sent: 9/12/2002 3:02 PM

I was at the beach a while back and saw a guy who used regular steel automotive ramps, the kind that you drive up onto to work on your car, and this seemed to be very simple because all you do is drive up until you are level stop and then block the opposite end tires so it will not roll back down, unless you trust your e-brake. No more fooling w/ wood or carrying heavy bottle jacks, the only drawback is that they are kinda big to carry but my rig has an rear bumper w/ a rack. I may try this and will let everyone know if i like it.

Sent: 9/12/2002 6:17 PM

Were you on the beach in the sand ? I know that this happens at race point my husband just said but they are driving deisel pushers and need tow trucks to take them out there We just dig a hole and level off check the fridge and you are home would really like an answer to this one Beach