Carpet replacement

Started by bigyellowbus, August 10, 2012, 07:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigyellowbus

Sent: 10/8/2002 10:52 AM

I need to replace the carpet in the front of my 75 Indian. It is the original carpet and it is looking a little rough. It is in the area where the driver and passenger sit and on the engine cover which is removable. It doesn't seem that difficult to remove but my question is, what do I replace it with that is easy to work with and be molded in to difficult areas and what to hold it down with. Any and all help would be helpful.......................busboy

Frank M

Sent: 10/8/2002 11:45 AM

Busboy,
5 years ago I replaced the carpet in my 1973 Brave with indoor/outdoor carpeting from Home Depot. Not the grass stuff but the low pile carpet. I think it comes in tan, blue and green. It has been holding up very well. (I have two small children so it has been tested). I glued it down with flooring adhesive. The carpet is fairly thin so it worked very nicely on the engine cover. Save your old carpet as a template. It especially helped for cutting out the engine cover piece. Being a low pile carpet it cleans very well. I hope this info helps. Good luck!

bigyellowbus

Sent: 10/8/2002 4:29 PM

thanks Frank I will look into that carpet. I am quite handy with mechanical things but I lack in some of the other handyman things.

Dave1210

Sent: 10/8/2002 8:11 PM

I just put carpet in my 72 Indian and I laid the new berber carpet over the old carpet. I paid a guy $40.00 to install it, he worked at one of those carpet warehouses he used nails and staples to secure it down. Probably not the best way but it looks good and was cheap.

HAL

Sent: 10/8/2002 9:28 PM

HAL HERE.   I REPLACED THE CARPET IN MY 79 BRAVE.   REMOVED BOTH FRONT SEATS AND OLD CARPET.   HAD TO SAND THE RUST ON THE FLOOR, AND REPAINTED.  USED OLD CARPET AS A TEMPLATE. CUT RUG JUST A LITTLE LARGER AND TRIMMED WHEN I GOT IT IN PLACE.   I USED THE SAME GLUE THAT THEY USE WHEN THEY LAY LINNO.   I USED 1" ALUM.  ANGLE ON THE EDGES TO STOP CARPET FROM CURLING UP. USED SCREWS TO HOLD ANGLE IN PLACE.   WHEN SELECTING A CARPET MAKE CERTAIN THAT IT IS NOT THE TYPE THAT UNRAVELS WHEN SNAGGED.

PrimeJlh

Sent: 3/8/2005 10:40 PM

I plan to replace the original carpet in about 1/2 of a 32' 89 Superchief.  Would like to use either or both tile and hardwood.  I've heard lots of pro and con for each, but the new units have this combination and it seems to work.  Heard that pergo floors come up because of the flexion of the floor.  Heard that tile (ceramic) come apart at the grout.  Won't do this till next summer, but any help or suggestions would be appreciated.   

70winnie

Sent: 3/9/2005 6:39 PM

In covering my new floor, I bought cheap, slightly-misprinted 6'x9' vinyl sheets and cut them to fit.  Then I attached them around the edges with tiny (#4 or #6 x 1/2") screws.  The vinyl essentially "floats" on the floor, giving it maximum flexibility.  And most people wont notice that the pattern is misprinted unless you point it out.