Generator Bay Insulation?

Started by MSN Member, January 13, 2010, 05:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moparmotivator

Sent: 02/01/2007

What is a good material to use when re-insulating the generator bay??

My original stuff looks like asbestos over carpet backing and it is falling down on the muffler.

Thanks

Cooneytoones

Sent: 02/01/2007 6:28 PM

MOP....a good cheap & easy to install insulation is water heater insulation wrap.....the foil backed & faced type.  It will quiet the sound and it is also fire resistant...  it is very easy to cut to size....you may need to buy an extra roll of the foil tape only a little bit comes with the roll......you can use a 3M spray on (heat resistant or high temp) glue..... along with the foil tape and if necessary, use a few staples to keep it in place.....It works very well and it will last.

Timmy

75Travco

Sent: 17/01/2007

www.cyberbridgemarine.com has a pretty good selection of sound barrier material.  I used the 1" thick barrier, and fastened it with pins and spray adhesive.  This barrier has a heavy vinyl core with foam on both sides.  The foam serves to absorb the noise and reduce the exterior sound level.  The vinyl serves as a barrier that reduces the amount of low frequency noise transmitted into the interior of the coach.  Very effective but not cheap.

Lefty

Sent: 18/01/2007

Another alternative is 2 products made by Second Skin Audio. http://www.secondskinaudio.com
The first is called Motor Mat,
Motor Matâ,,¢
Motor Mat is a high thermal acoustic barrier made of acoustic grade open celled foam treated with aluminum an facing reinforced with fiberglass cross-threads. Motor Mat has a high temperature, peel and stick acrylic adhesive for easy and permanent installation.

Motor Mat is designed to reflect radiant heat from the engine, transmission and exhaust while dissipating airborne sound waves. Apply Motor Mat to the engine side of the firewall or hood to reflect heat and noise away from the cabin of the car and reduce engine noise inside the vehicle.

Use On:
Hood

Adheres To:
Painted or Primed Sheet Metal
Plastic
Existing OEM Sound Deadener
Damplifierâ,,¢
Spectrumâ,,¢

Specifications:
Thickness .5 in (12.7 mm)
Mass/Area .079 lbs/Sq.Ft. (.385 kg/m²)
Heat Tolerance 212 °F (100 °C)
Sheets 36inX54in (91.44cmX137.16cm)

Cost: $49.98/sheet

The second is called Heat Wave,

Heat Waveâ,,¢
Second Skin Heat Wave is a light weight, foil faced, fire retardant heat and noise insulation mat. This thermal-acoustic barrier is perfect for reducing heat and noise generated from vehicle engines and exhaust systems, as well as thermal insulation from the sun and radiant road, engine and exhaust heat.

In addition to thermal insulation, Heat Wave is an excellent noise reduction mat that targets specific frequencies associated with road noise and engine noise.

Unlike many popular jute style insulation products, Heat Wave is made from high quality, natural fibers with no fiberglass, resins, formaldehyde or polymer filler and does not cause itching or skin irritation, making it easy and safe to install.

The aluminum barrier is strengthen with nylon cross-threads and reflects unwanted radiant heat, moisture and vapors. Each of the fibers in Heat Wave are treated with a non-toxic anti-microbial agent that protects against mold, mildew, fungi, and pests as well as a fire retardent chemical that not only prevent the fibers from igniting but also help increase the shelf life by more than 100% when compared to similar products.

Heat Wave can be used as a stand alone product but when applied on top of our Damplifier mat or Firewall coating, it will provide nearly 3 times the heat and noise reduction results.

It is reccomended that the edgest be sealed with a foil tape, duct tape or our foil backed vibration mat; Damplifier.

Use On:
Floor, Wheel Wells, Firewall

* Adheres To:
Painted or Primed Sheet Metal
Plastic
Existing OEM Sound Deadener
Damplifierâ,,¢
Spectrumâ,,¢
* requires separate adhesive - not included

Specifications:
Thickness .375 in (9.52 mm)
Sheets 48inX72in (121.92cmX182.88cm)

Cost: $30.09/sheet
I reserve the right to reject your reality and substitute my own...

SPEC_OPS121

Sent: 19/01/2007

you can go to any local sheetmetal shop, one that makes duct work for HVAC systems.

ask for some 1" thick duct liner and a can of spray adhesive.

you'll be in like Flint. whoever he is.

stephen

ontheroadagain

Sent: 21/01/2007

Check out the COOL IT  line made by THERMO TEC the make a full line of  heat  insulation products for  racing, JEGS.COM had the best price. I used some last year to replace the factory stuff inside the dog house and the cab floor. I used the spray adhesive and it was very messy and hard to position th pieces once the adhesive touched. I have to do my generator compartment in the spring and i am going to get the self adhesive type i think it will be easier to position around the generator and then stick into place.

firebug911

Sent: 21/01/2007 

I used duct board myself... You can get it at any A/C supply house and it absorbs sound and will not burn, It is sold in sheets 4' X 8' X 1" thick or the good stuff that is 2" thick... I used the 1" thick because the 2" thick would not fit.  I cut the top piece big and then put the sides in after that so the top rests on the sides and it wont fall down... It all fits tight and there was no need for adheasive.  YMMV