Replacing extensive coach wood rot

Started by Sho_tyme, December 04, 2010, 01:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sho_tyme

After a long day and me and my step brother exhausted, we called it a day. Tomorrow start a new day going to try support the coach bout 8points and remove and replace new floor and get the coach walls back together and get the bottom solid then try to concure the roof next week.

Hope we dont have enough wind to blow the coach down :(

75Travco

That's a big job, but lifting the body will provide much-needed clearance for replacing the floor!  Looking forward to seeing how the body is lifted and supported.  What will be be used for the new floor?

LJ-TJ

I have to call FOWL, I hope you realize that rebuilding a Classic Winnebago in Indiana is cheating since Elkhart is the Mecca of trailers and motorhomes. Let us know if you find a good supplier of paneling. I got a feeling this is going to be a great adventure for a lot of folks on this site. Have at'er boys.

4winds

Wow, and I thought I had a lot to do with the CEO.  Good luck and keep the pictures coming.  Love it! :)clap

Sho_tyme

Quote from: LJ-TJ on December 04, 2010, 07:31 AM
I have to call FOWL, I hope you realize that rebuilding a Classic Winnebago in Indiana is cheating since Elkhart is the Mecca of trailers and motorhomes. Let us know if you find a good supplier of paneling. I got a feeling this is going to be a great adventure for a lot of folks on this site. Have at'er boys.
LOL, yea I know. Alot of my parts have came from there and northern Indiana. I am doing the roof also bought a solid piece of galvanized from a guy named Jim Calvert at RV excesses think he has a site great guy that been in the industry a while up there. When got the roof up there its wild you see car car RV truck car truck/camper truck/camper lol. factory's pumping them out up there. Bad thing is moving i don't have much time get up that way try make some contacts. I will be snapping ton pics (got new charger) on my camera.Wish me luck it snowing here  gotta get out get snow off before it collapse on me. will post more tonight.

Sho_tyme

Quote from: labbie1 on December 06, 2010, 12:42 AM
if it looks like a total disaster and your wondering why in the hell you started something like this in the first place it has been my experience your on the right path!
:)clap I love it, kinda how I looked at mine. I originally bought it from my dad going to pull the a/c and gen out of it and sell to a few guys at work and now I plan on living full time in it. Alot of blood sweat tears and of coarse money going into it but I know in the end I will be happy.

Sho_tyme

more pics
water heater out

Under the shower base

Me raising hell lol,actually grinding the head off a carraige bolt.

you can see the coach wall screws here where they should be in wood under the shower base.

JDxeper

Deep down, I think we all have the feeling to strip those units down and start over but, like me, I lack the courage and will power to give it a go. N:(
JD
Tumble Bug "Rollin in MO" (JD)

Sho_tyme

Well JD when $hit gets deep,tie your boots tight hold your nose and jump in. =)

Us getting the lower metal off

A chunk of 2x4 that runs the length on driver side wall

what little is left along the bottom

The first new peice of wood to go back in

random

Step brother removing paneling

atleast no snow down there today

holes winnebago should put in

more holes put in,notice the 2 they put in screws into foam ?? scratched head on that one

pick of the new board in

pick of the 2 new boards the whole length

pick without board in

just a pick durring the havoc

Sorry picks are not in great order

jkilbert

good luck with the project. you're a bit more ambitious than i am right now to do it outside. i plan on doing a rebuild on mine also just trying to find a garage big enough to work in that doesnt cost me an arm,leg and first born child.
Greetings from the steel buckle of the rust belt

LJ-TJ

Sho-tym if the opportunity comes along, can you get a picture of how  the paneling attached to the foam and how are you separating the to. Do you have to distroy the foam to do that. T.J. Hm?

Sho_tyme

The good parts you grab and rip big sections, off the bad you have take and use a metal scraper and lightly pull and scrape lightly. after you get tha hang of it you can move along decent with minimin foam board damage. Ill get more pics today.

Sho_tyme

first interior wood of the coach to be glued and screwed.

my modification to coach pulls wall 2x4 to frame. Only one carage bolt in front was through the 1x4,the 2 in the rear actually missed both boards so only the 1/4 plywood was holding it.

Tinning I couldnt find actually was under my nose. A peice from a old trailor we tore down had blown out in the woods and was 1/2 barried so........ FREEBIE

glued and screwed second board. Loving my new $30 5amp black decker drill,made sinking the 4"wall screws alot easier.

This stuff seams pretty evil,DAP4000 reads bonds wet, frozen and treated lumber. sounded good to me.

LJ-TJ

:)ThmbUp Good stuff. Keep the photo log coming. I'm sure it will answer a lot of question for a lot of folks and help them decide that they to can take on a project of this size. Well done.  :)clap

Sho_tyme

Wow,just wow. driver side a breeze compared to pass. side. Running into issue's up in the driver compartment.  going to get coach done thenonce in florida goind to tear into the front where my cold day is 45 not  -10. one problem running into is rotten wood acts like a sponge and everything been froze to the panels. Will try get pics posted tommorow pretty exhausted tonight.

Sho_tyme

a Little flooring down

A brace bar I welded into the step area to tie the back of the step and that corner the foor to something solid

Another brace I put in the center stepping in or down out diver compartment.

Another center brace bar just forward of the rear axle

Things were ok till I used the snow blower.

Pass side wall pics,yea pics kinda worked backwards.

Hope to get it close but were leaving wednesday for florida then coming back second week in feb to file taxes and try to finish up my civic and get my integra in order to haul south as soon my civic sales. But feels nice walking across a SOLID floor.

LJ-TJ

Wow....Ballzy....Looking real good. Keep it up and if time permits keep the pic's coming. Even on the trip south. Shoot put it on Utube.

Sho_tyme

Yea will try get some pics but the winnie wont be done till we get back in feb. to do taxes. Kinda a ego blow but I was doing the best I could in the time allowed with a herniated bowle and help 1 day a week. But im looking forward to getting it done and heading down mid feb with it.

4winds

Mine has been a piece of cake in comparison.  Just make very sure the running gear from engine back is perfect before leaving.  Read my post on starting over. Ed

LJ-TJ

An EGO BLOW are you kidding me.  D:oH! Guys haven't gotten that much done in two years. There's guys out here wouldn't even attempt a project of that magnitude. Holy Cow mate you've done fantastic. You haven't had an ego blow, you've had an EGO  BOOST. Ya no the problem with all this? Your going to leave us hanging on the edge now until you get back and finish the project. I look forward to that. In the mean time. Have a very Merry Christmas and I hope a prosperous New Year. My hats of to ya mate.  :)clap

Sho_tyme

Quote from: 1oleman on December 18, 2010, 06:24 PM
Mine has been a piece of cake in comparison.  Just make very sure the running gear from engine back is perfect before leaving.  Read my post on starting over. Ed
I started reading one night and made it a good ways and my computer allways freezes on this site some reason and I think I called it a night. But yea I feel your pain one thing after another like this needs replaced and go to put that board in and the one to screw to is rotton just kinda hopeless laugh and say guess that gets replaced also. But been a fun/tired/stressfull/learning experience. And Lj_Tj been good help I get up and say well this evening he prob wanna know what I have got done lol. But I will be ready to finish it up February and get it down there and hit a few campgrounds do a little traveling and then before winter probally rent a place as I really need a garage to finish up my civic and integra to sell and really wanna boat. Getting to that allmost 30 changing a few priorities are changing. Main thing is I needed a change in latitude and I think this move and this old coach will help me get there.

Sho_tyme

Also would like to thank The_Handier_man for taking the time and clearing a few things up for me on the roof. going use his desighn with a few small changes cause the metal roof.

LJ-TJ

Just catching up on some  reading. How ya make'n out. Any progress lately?  Hm?

Froggy1936

That,s a really neat idea to be able to check rear tires for wear from the interior   :)rotflmao  Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

DaveVA78Chieftain

That fuel filter and gas line at the step well needs to be moved up higher away from the exhaust pipe to help prevent vapor lock.  Today's 10% ethanol mix is more susceptible boiling the gas.  May become a big deal down in Florida.

Dave
[move][/move]