Coach lights work on 110v but not 12v

Started by MSN Member, March 26, 2010, 03:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skypilot

Sent: 11/11/2002

I have  a '72 Indian with a 413.  Every light in the coach works when I'm hooked up to 110V.  The problem is that nothing works off the batteries when I'm not hooked to 110V.  Is there a switch somewhere to put the coach on Battery power? I have two new deep cycle batteries that are fully charged.   Everything also works on generator power which of course is 110V.    If I understand it right, the "Dual Battery" Switch only connects both batteries into Parallel.

Peter T

Sent: 11/11/2002

I have to flip my converter switch to battery power in order to get my 12v to work from the batteries.  It could be you have the same converter I have in my '75 Brave.  Maybe this is all it is.

skypilot

Sent: 11/12/2002

I figured there was a switch somewhere but I can't find it.  My converter is inside the compartment behind the spare tire that is on the back.  It is on the floor on the generator side of this compartment.  You can't see but two sides of it.  I've felt all over this converter and I can't find a switch.  Could it be somewhere else.  Everthing looks like it came from the factory.

MSN Member

Sent: 11/13/2002

do you have a circuit breaker panel or fuse box?  Mine has a switch to change from 110 to 12v or vice-versa...but, not, I think, for the interior carriage lights.  But yours might have.
  If it was me, I think I would start at the battery with a meter and trace the wiring down, checking as I went.  If you have power in the batteries but not to the lights, it must stop somewhere.  And it might be as simple as a broken wire.
  To be safe and avoid confusion, I would make sure it was disconnected from the 110 (of course) and that the start battery was also disconnected.  If you have an isolator, that might not be working. I understand they frequently go bad.
  I might be wrong, but it seems to me that the only part of the 12v system you DON'T use when you're on 110 is the wiring out from the battery(s), so since the lights work on 110, the problem would seem, logically, to be in that area.
  I can't think of any other way to find the problem than tracing the wires from the carriage battery and checking the voltage at every connection.
  Having everything work on 110 certainly reduces your possible problem area!   

Peter T

My converter is compartmentalized in the same area as my water storage tank.  The 3-way switch is on the front of it and could easily be overlooked if having to locate it by touch.  UP is 110, MIDDLE is off, and DOWN is 12v.    It's entirely possible that you have a broken wire between the batteries and 1st fixture on the 12v chain.  Hope you can get to the bottom of it soon

skypilot

I'll try that tracing job but so much of the wiring is inside the walls.  There is probably  NOT any connections in there though.  I do have a circuit breaker box right next to the converter and fuse panel next to that but I can't find anything there.  All I have in the CB  box is two main switches and a switch to convert to the Generator.

skypilot

Thanks fellows for all the info.  I think that from all the suggestions, I might find the problem.  I'm think that I'll find it in the  relay in the converter.

Photoman

Sent: 11/12/2002

There is no switch on my converter in my 72 C20 Brave either. When you plug into 110V, the converter is supposed to switch over automatically. Sometimes mine doesn't, but if I GENTLY tap on the back side of the metal housing, the lights will usually come on. I believe there is a relay inside the converter that is either sticking or has dirty contacts or both. You might try this and see what happens. 
Also owned a 1972 Winnebago D22 Indian