Right Plugs for 413-1

Started by The_Handier_Man1, November 17, 2008, 04:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Handier_Man1

Sent: 4/30/2005 7:21 PM

Hi Classic People,

Just got back from Auto Zone with a set of plugs for the Winne & a wiring set. The plug that came out is an Autolite 86. I have been unable to confirm antwhere that is the correct heat range for this engine. When they pulled up the 413 specs they couldn't find any for a big Dodge truck ovet 1 ton, however their application did say the '65 Dodge Monaco took Autolite 85's. This is very close, but just wondered if anyone has come across what heat range Autolite the 413-1 Dodge truck specs calls for? I asked the parts guy if platinum Bosch plugs can be used and he didn't think anything but a plain old resistor type will work with the ancient '72 ign. Anyone have any luck with the new platinum plugs?

By the way, someone on this website had posted the Belden part # for the '72 413(thank you), and it crossed to a Bosch # 09612, that is a silicone jacket, 7mm wire with stainless wire & kevlar core. ($31.00), pre cut to size. I will find out tomorrow just how well it is cut to size.

So anyone put in the Autolite brand plugs, just wondered what heat range number you are using. Thanks for any help.

Best Regards,

Robert Donley
Jenison, MI

Sent: 5/1/2005 7:19 PM

Cant help, sorry. I have been using Champion RN14YC plugs, which the little boxes now call a 405 as well. So far I havent had any trouble with spark plugs in a 413.

Sent: 5/1/2005 9:49 PM

When dealing with Auto Zone, NEVER say, "RV."  Tell them it's a Dodge, the year, an MB300, and the engine size.  The secret is the "MB300."  Almost none of them know what that is, but it's in the computer.

Sent: 5/1/2005 10:02 PM

Dodge chassis book says Champion N-6 (3/4" reach, 14MM, resistor).  Champion no longer makes that one but says RN5C is equivilant.  The Champion web site says the Autolite 86 plug crosses to RJ18YC which only has a 3/8" reach.  The one Denison recommended (RN14YC) has the 3/4" reach.  The autolite site says a 413 truck uses their number 405 plug which crosses to the RN5C.  The Champion site implies that the difference between RN5C and RN14YC is that the RN14YC has an extended tip.  You can see pictures of these plugs on the Champion web site (http://www.championsparkplugs.com/Default.asp).  Just enter the Champion number in the cross reference field.

Dave

Sent: 5/2/2005 11:38 PM

Thank-U Dave !!!

I'm printin' this out & goin back to Auto Zone for an exchange. Sure appreciate it.

Regards,

Robert Donley
Jenison, MI