Chieftain 31 driver's side front wheel removal?

Started by Groove, July 02, 2014, 07:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Groove

Greetings!

This is my first post here and I'm sure there will be many more. I can't get my front wheel out of the wheel well, it hangs up and gets caught between the studs and the (welded to the chassis) driver's step. Is there a trick to this? I'm no newbie when it comes to mechanics, but this wheel is making me feel stupid.

Thanks for any help.

Eric

Mr. T

Maybe turn your wheel hard left.  See if that will give you clearance.  If need be, maybe let the air out of the tire.

Don T.

Groove

I can't believe I didn't think of that. Thanks, I'll give it a shot.

Rickf1985

I pull the bottom of the tire out a bit, drop it off the studs and angle it forward and then it will squeeze by the step.

DonD

On my SW I have to jack the frame up a bit.
Don and Mary
2000 TC1000 Bluebird bus conv.

ClydesdaleKevin

We have an even worse step, rides lower, on our 89 Holiday Rambler.  The secret is to jack it higher than normal, then rock the bottom of the tire out, and guide it out past the steps.  It will come out, just not as easy as the passenger side.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Stripe

Have a look at this thread, Scroll down and you can see what Kevin is talking about.  Our steps are a bit obnoxious. :D

http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php/topic,7759.0.html 

When I did the drivers side I turned the wheel to the left and that made a BIG difference..
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

Groove

Thanks for the help everyone, I'm away from the RV until Monday so I'll have to wait to try again.

FastGlassman69

Quote from: Groove on July 03, 2014, 07:14 AM
Thanks for the help everyone, I'm away from the RV until Monday so I'll have to wait to try again.
I have been working on the front end of my Chieftain 22 all week and decided to reinvent the step as it is a big PITA to work on anything on the left side. I cut it off and am making connectors out of solid square barstock, so I can slide it on and lock it in with some bolts or pins. It is much too hard to do anything on that side of the motorhome even with the wheel off having that stupid step on there.
To me that is just an emergency exit as I prefer going thru the side door! Just my thoughts as I don't like getting hurt squeezing in just to check the damn brake fluid! Bobby