What Does the dash " - 3 " Engine Designator Mean?

Started by The_Handier_Man1, November 20, 2008, 10:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Handier_Man1

Sent: 10/14/2004 7:35 AM

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this whole Winnebago/ Dodge engine thing, so I hope you don't think I'm a big dummy!!!
I was wondering what the -3 was after you guys talk about your engine size.  Ex. - 440-3
I just bought my Winnie and the PO told me it had a Dodge 360 in it.
I've never had any vehicles with Dodge engines so I can't identify it just by looking at it. I did replace two pushrods, and took the old ones with me to the parts store, told the guy they were for a 360, and he brought hte right ones out! Can anyone tell me the easiest way to identify this engine, because I have no idea where the engine codes are stamped/cast on these engines.
And what's the -3  for?
Is mine a 360-3?

You'll probably be hearing from me a lot more, because I'm planning on rebuilding this engine over the winter!

Thanks,
Mooman56

Sent: 10/14/2004 9:12 AM

I think the 3 in the engine code designates a heavy duty engine application . It's built different than the car engines , Designed for heavy sevice and runs   lower RPM .
If it's a 360 3 there should be a identification number stamped in the block on the left front below the cylinder head .  the 440 3 has it stamed on the top of the block Left front side next to the valve cover . Knowing the year of the rig is helpfull , and the first six numbers of the dodge chassis vin # contains most information . Sea Hag 

Sent: 10/18/2004 12:33 AM

The "-3" is what is called an "arrangement number".  It denotes differences in timing, carburetion, and head porting.  The "-3" engine was also used in police vehicles, ambulances & medium-duty truck chassis' (such as our coaches are based on).

They also made a "-1" arrangement, which had timing of 5 degrees BTDC among other differences.

John

Sent: 10/18/2004 6:28 PM

Sea Hag & John,

Thanks for letting me know what the "dash 3" was for.
I'm thinking about rebuilding this engine over the winter and that info just might come in handy.
Anyone have any thoughts about rebuilding this 360 or would swapping in some other size engine be a better idea?
I bent two pushrods in this engine coming back from a trip to Richmond, Va.  I know I was running it a little harder than I should have been.  Replaced the pushrods after I got towed home.  Seems to run OK again, but now I'm a little leary about taking another trip.  Guess I gotta keep my right foot a little farther from the floor!

Thanks again, guys!

Mooman56

Sent: 10/18/2004 8:24 PM

I think the pushrods got bent at some earlier time - like when someone started it up after it had been sitting for a couple of years, and the valves were slightly stuck.
Then when you had it up to speed, the already bent pushrods finally gave out. I would also expect that other pushrods might be slightly bent, not that this will hurt anything if they havent failed already. If you remove the rocker covers, you can spin the pushrods and see if they are moderately bent, but a slight bend will only show up by taking them out of the motor, and rolling them across a tabletop
Once the engine is being driven on trips, long enough for proper lubrication of the valves, and with its oil kept clean, I seriously doubt you could hurt a set of unbent pushrods, at any rpm the engine would ever reach in a motorhome - assuming you have it in gear!
And when you go to get parts for it, being a 360-3 will make a difference in lots of little ways - maybe different engine bearings, maybe a different crank, head gaskets, things like that. 

Sent: 10/18/2004 8:28 PM

And I would either rebuild the engine thats in it, or an identical one. You arent going to get a huge increase in useable horsepower or torque with the common engine changes - which would be to a 440. And i think with the 440 you would need to change the transmission. The bell housing for the mopar big block and small block engines was apparently different, even though the transmission was an A727 in both of them. 

Sent: 10/19/2004 12:06 AM

Thanks Denison for your thoughts.  I'll have to remember to mention that it is a 360-3 when I get the parts for the rebuild. I thought about buying an old Dodge 1-ton truck that one of my friend's father has. It has a 360 in it. I was going to rebuild it and then just swap it with the one thats in there now.  I'll have to check and see, maybe it's a 360-3 since it's in a one ton???  I'm not sure what year the truck is, but it's in the 70's.  But, now I'm kind of leaning toward rebuilding the one that's in the Winnie and keeping it all original.

It's funny how you can spot a classic Winnie no matter where it's hiding after you buy one yourself!

I don't smile much, but I can't stop smiling while I'm driving my old '76 Brave!!!  I love the looks and waves you get while driving a classic!

Thanks again!

Sent: 10/19/2004 11:07 AM

I would also stick with the 360-3  . My 76 has the 440 -3  It's only a 23' and while the extra power is nice at times the MPG isn't . I think youll have better MPG with a fresh 360 -3 . Sea Hag