Where to begin fixing a vintage RV?

Started by JimVol, August 09, 2012, 10:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimVol

I just inherited a 1972 Dodge Travco project from my father in law. There is so much to do on this Motorhome I don't even know where to begin.  It has set for years and I know it doesn't run.

My plan of action is to get this thing running first just so I can move it around.

Would you start with brakes first?
Then battery?
Then tune up/figure out how to get fuel to it? (carb rebuild flush the tank?)
Points?  Where can I buy tune up parts?

I'm pretty handy but this is a big project. But I have to be able to move it around safely.

Thanks

Jeremiah
It's kind of fun to do the impossible -  Walt Disney

cosmic

i would start with a good jumper pack to turn the engine over. from there some quick start fluid, or gas dumped into the top of the carb. check for spark. then if she fires up for a few seconds and dies make sure its getting fuel from the tank. if its old gas get rid of it and start with new stuff. there is a tool you can buy to prime the oil pump if your worried about it. If you can turn the engine over then that's a good sign.
there is a good video on youtube. search cold starting Winnebago.
good luck with the project. don't get frustrated things take time and research, but once you have it figured out. its all worth the time.

Stripe

Welcome to the world of Restoration!  Another thing I would do is to do a walk around of the your RV with a clipboard and note paper in hand.  Start by looking at Your roof first, note it's condition, then work your way around the sides, again noting IT'S condition, then move on to the underside if feasible or when you can get to it for the drive-train, suspension and tires.
After that I would do engine and engine electrical.
Next I would do the Interior of the rig, ceiling, electrical, cockpit, head/shower(including installed hardware), dining/relaxing facilities, sleeping facilities, flooring and walls.
Once you get the notes written down, I would then do a Triage list based on what you noted down, I.E. What needs attention the soonest and what can be put off without worrying about further damage occurring due to say, weather..
Once that triage list is done, you can form a plan of action and work according to that plan.  Stick to that plan as much as you can(Murphy's Law not withstanding) and you will find that list shrinking with record speed.
This list is by no means all inclusive, nor does it need to be done in the order listed, but I hope it does point you in a good direction to start you off.  And by the way, at times it may seem some tasks are overwhelming and impossible but nothing is impossible, just take a break from it relax and if you imbibe, enjoy a nice ice cold brew or mint julip (I love those) while sitting in a lawnchair looking at the RV.  Inspiration sometimes follows.  It's a Zen thing, Lol..

Hope that helps

CMM500
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

Oz

The heck with walking around with note paper and clipboard!  Look to the right side column... at the bottom... "RV Buying Checklist"  It's already set-up for you to use!  Print it and put that on your clipboard.

:)   :)ThmbUp
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Stripe

Or you can do what Mark suggests.. :)

CMM500
Fredric,

Oz

Here's a great "meat and potatoes" guide for evaluating your primary running systems, written by one of our long-time gurus, Ivan "Lefty" Rice:

http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php?topic=3977.0

1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Stripe

Fredric,

ClydesdaleKevin

With a Travco, the roof and body SHOULD be solid, but its a good idea like was suggested to fix any leaks right off the bat.

Next step is to get it running.  Then make sure the brakes work before leaving the driveway.

After that, its just fix one thing at a time until its road worthy...eventually making it run reliably.

Once its running well and the brakes work and all the running light and all that work, your internal systems would be the next thing to work on...fridge, interior lights, stove, furnace, genny if you have one, etc.

After that, its all cosmetics!

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.