So how much should it cost to replace a transmission?

Started by dgapilot, October 01, 2011, 06:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dgapilot

While bringing my newly purchased Windcruiser home, the transmission quit, and I had it towed to what I thought was an OK shop. It's been there 3 weeks, and he finally got to looking at it this past week. He still hasn't given an estimate but told me it would be just south of $4000 to put an overhauled Jasper tranny in. We're talking a TH475 on an '87 P30 chassis. This is almost double what I was expecting. Am I wrong, or is this about what folks are paying for a transmission swap.

I've been calling around and have found places that will overhaul mine for between $1000 and $1500. Figuring another 8 hours labor for R&R, I would think just at $2000 would be about right.

I'm thinking that I'll have it towed to my home, and dope it myself, then send it out and put it back in after the rebuild. I've done standard transmission swaps before, but never changed an automatic. Anything I should be aware of before I jump into it?

Thanks,
David

LJ-TJ

Bingo  :)ThmbUp depending on the cost to tow it home. You are farther ahead if you can to do it yourself.  :)clap

GWINGER

You must seat the torque converter properly or you will damage the pump. Flush trans coolers to remove any debris.
J

Froggy1936

In my opinion you will save money pulling it out and reinstalling it yourself. Automatics are no harder to r&r than a std tranny just a lot heavier  (about 200 lb with fluid) if you have a decent floor jack use a board the size of the pan and strap it on to the jack 2 people can handle it Best advice is get a very good book first read R&R and overhaul they are not that difficult if you have good instructions to repair if yopu have a place to do it some knowledge and tools.  I just got a few good books on the tranny  Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

dgapilot

Thanks Frank. I think that will be my plan. I found a guy that will overhaul it for $350 + parts. As long as the hard parts are good, the other stuff isn't that expensive. The big one would be if the planetary is shot. The TH475 has the streight planetary rather than the helical in the TH400. I don't think there are any aftermarket gears for the 475. i have seen some that put the planetary from the TH400 in the 475 (that's what Jasper does) so I suppose that could be an option if mine is burned up.

Froggy1936

That is a very good price to overhaul  The TH 400 are bullet proof very good trans.  Only caution on reinstalling is to make shure convertor is installed all the way in to the frt pump & make shure it does not slip forward.  Put approx 4 qt of fluid in trans brfore starting engine then another 4 right away  Then start checking level  Frank

dgapilot

Thanks for the heads up on the installation.That will be severl weeks down the road, but I'll keep it in mind.

dgapilot

I got "The Rock" as my wife calls it, home over the weekend. I've got to pick up some jackstands that are up to holding a 17k lb vehicle so I can drop the tranny out. Hope to get some work done on it over the next couple weeks. Splitting time between the MH and a major kitchen remodel won't be easy.

LJ-TJ

What? Dropping the transmission or doing the kitchen.  :laugh:
Keep the wife happy the rest is easy.  :P

jkilbert

the clutches, steels and seals/gaskets are pretty cheap. i jist ordered a kit for my blazer's 4l60e and it was around $170. plus another $60 fro a pump kit. this will be something new for me since i have never rebuilt a tranny, but i got the video and manual to work from. i got the parts from Performance Automatic Transmission Center. www.transmissioncenter.com
and the book and video from ebay $40. soon as i get a junkyard tranny i can get started.

for anyone interested they sell bulletproof 700r4's for under $2k. they say their built for high hp/severe duty applications. you end up with a 20%lower 1st gear and overdrive...
Greetings from the steel buckle of the rust belt

Froggy1936

Tip. With the E Transmissions make shure you have a good ground strap on reinstall. Also good info   @              700r4l60e.com  Dana has a lot of good info and parts. Also make shure you update sunshell to hardened GM part or use the Beast sunshell   Frank