Roof repair with Safe-T-Plex Elastomeric Roof Coating

Started by LJ-TJ, September 13, 2012, 09:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LJ-TJ

Well like so many before me it looks like some little gremlin got up on our roof with a streight pin and put a thousand little pin prick holes in our new/old winnie. So like many before us what to do? New roof, rubber roof, cool seal? Well we went with this product up here in Canada called http://www.polycoatings.com/rvroof.html. Spent the day washing the roof with a product called Spray-Nine. Now when these folks say this is sticky shoot they aren't kidding. This stuff is unbelievable. If the roll on polycoating is anything like the tape WOW! this is good stuff.

I know there cheaper products out there and many ways it can be done however for $382.99 Canadian it seemed to be the best and least of all options. It's a one time deal for 20 years. Not to mention the Company support is incredible. Any time I had a question and called the company they couldn't do enough to help out. Yeah don't see that very often these days.
Here's some of the process. And mark my words when these guys say DON'T let the tap touch it's self! Their not kidding. This is real sticky stuff. D:oH!

This is how the material was delivered.

[smg id=4743]

[smg id=4744]

The first step is to clean as much of the old Silicone off as possible. You don't have to go crazy on it but just clean the loose stuff up. The new sealer won't stick to Silicone. So if you can't get the Silicone of all you have to do is make a patch out of the tape to go over the spot you need to cover up. :)ThmbUp

[smg id=4745]

[smg id=4747] [smg id=4748]

[smg id=4749]

[smg id=4746]

LJ-TJ

I know there cheaper products out there and many ways it can be done however for $382.99 Canadian it seemed to be the best and least of all options. It's a one time deal for 20 years. Not to mention the Company support is incredible. Any time I had a question and called the company they couldn't do enough to help out. Yeah don't see that very often these days.
Here's some of the process. And mark my words when these guys say DON'T let the tap touch it's self! Their not kidding. This is real sticky stuff. D:oH!

[smg id=4750]

[smg id=4751]

[smg id=4752]

LJ-TJ

Hm? So the question that begs to be asked is does anybody want me to continue posting pic and showing the process or is this just to expensive a product to bother with?

JDxeper

Stay with it TJ the principle is the same regardless of the materials.

Tumble Bug "Rollin in MO" (JD)

Oz

How much sq. ft. area / linear seam footage does this kit cover?
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

LJ-TJ

Ok so I'm one of those guys who wears supenders as well as a belt to hold his pants up. I guess than means I believe in over kill. Lauren and I decided to put tape patches were ever we thought the roof was susceptible to leaking.

LJ-TJ

Once we did the seams and patch all we had left to do was roll on the poly how ever to hedge our bets we decided to brush the poly on the tape first and then roll the poly on.

LJ-TJ

The End. Well we won't know for some time how great this stuff is however I knew the moment I put the first piece of tape on I had made the right decision. When these guys say don't let it touch anything there not kidding. Once it touches it's done. You ain't move'n it. I've worked with a lot of stuff and man this is some sticky stuff. As soon as I started rolling the poly on I new I had made the right decision. This stuff is amazing. I really believe this stuff is worth eating a few dinners of Kraft Dinner in order to afford it. Yes the proof is in the pudding so I guess we'll see but I know I'll sleep a lot better in the next monsoon when we're out in the Winne.
The tape comes in a 50' roll and is 4" wide. I order extra so I could make some extra patches. Really not necessary but I like to hedge my bets.

joanfenn

ClydesdaleKevin

Darn nice job!  Let us know how it holds up to discolorization over the next several months or year.  That is my one main complaint about Kool Seal and other elastomeric coatings...they hold up for a good five years, but it only takes a short time for them to go from white to a light tan, especially when you are under the trees a lot...and anywhere you get puddles on the roof gets even worse with the discolorization.  The point of a bright white color is to reflect the sun and keep it cooler in the RV, so as the coating darkens it obviously looses its effectiveness in that regard.

Kev

Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

JDxeper

Tumble Bug "Rollin in MO" (JD)

LJ-TJ

Thanks Gang. Yep L.J. did a heck of a job. Just got off the phone with the factory. I'm telling ya these folks are fantastic to work with. Clean up of this product is with water. Beauty! Time will tell but I got a lot of faith in these folks after talking with them and dealing with them. Most business's today don't seem to have time to even give you the time of day. They sweet talk you till you buy their products and then see you. Any I digress I shall keep you posted and if your on the hunt check these guys out. I think they even sell in the States. :)clap

LJ-TJ

Well just got back from a Canadian Thanks Giving Weekend Camp Out and got hit with a monsoon and NO leaks. Beauty! Roof Seal a success. Now we just wait and see how long it last. I'll bring you up to date in 10 years. Now it's just hurry up and wait.Good Stuff. :)ThmbUp

DonD

Don and Mary
2000 TC1000 Bluebird bus conv.

scottsdale1977

I know this is a couple years old, but hopefully (in respect to the roof coating) that's a good thing :) 

How is the coating holding up after 2 years, TJ?