Outside seam repair/replace

Started by shortbus, January 02, 2016, 02:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shortbus

My Southwind has these trim pieces over the seams where the different caps and walls come together. The rivets holding them on have long since rusted out, a PO has tried to put screws in some of the holes, but with softer wood in some of the walls these screws didn't have all too much to grab. Anybody have any suggestions on cleaning these up? I have been thinking about maybe shooting a bit of construction adhesive in the overlap and going over the seam with something like eternabond tape. I think this would really help in the back because I wanted to add some air tabs and this would give me a much flatter surface to mount them to. Maybe some kinda caulk instead of construction adhesive if you guys think I need to allow more flex, but I would really like to just ditch all these trim pieces and be able to use some kinda tape type product, what do you guys think? I could get some pics too if that would help.

Rickf1985

Pictures are good, It is kind of hard to picture what you have without them.

DRMousseau

Boy I'm CERTAINLY gonna be interested in how those "air-tabs" work out for ya. And in REAL numbers,... before and after!!! Over the same run!!!

With all the seam trims, edge rails, roof accessories, canopy hardware, and more,.... I'm not very confident in the surface airflow that those tabs would benefit much. But who knows!!! 'Till someone put's 'em on (the right way,.. lol!) and tries 'em out!!!

Kinda hard getting away from that seam trim on a 'box' construction. Airstream never had that problem!!!
Welcome,..
To The Crazy Old Crow Medicine Show
DR Mousseau - Proprietor
Elixirs and Mixers, Potions and Lotions, Herbs, Roots, and Oils
"If I don't have it,... you don't need it!"

shortbus

Ok, got a few quick pics. The 1st two should be that rear seam trim piece that I would really like to do away with. The other two pics show the seam down the middle of the outside wall horizontally. One side was missing the trim strip that you can see in the other pic. I just filled the little gap there with clear 100% silicone caulk. Some guy at a local RV shop said that would be the best thing to use and I have since gone over this gap and around out my windows and doors and the even the top of the trim strip that isn't missing. I have since been told that is the worst thing to use for caulking stuff like this. Everything seems fine for now, but is that what I should have used? What would be better?

Rickf1985

Jonbbrew

Except for us Californians!  $@!#@!
Keep Er' Goin' Eh!

Jonathan

Rickf1985

OK, Well I found a new favorite and I think this may replace the Pro-flex as my go to caulk. Thanks to Terry for pointing me in this direction. The only problem with this stuff is it is more in the line of contractor grade stuff so it does not set up real fast. It will take a full day before you can even touch it but once set it is good.
AND, You Californicans can use it.

http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/17/26/pl_seal_dws/overview/Loctite-PL-S40-Polyurethane-Window-Door-and-Siding-Sealant.htm