Need replacement fuel tank selector valve, '77 Brave

Started by MSN Member, August 14, 2009, 08:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MSN Member

Sent: 2/7/2008

I am gonna try to get over to the ''you pull it junk yard'' this weekend....... anyone know a good vehicle to find that has a fuel tank selector valve that will work on my 77 brave... from what I recall, seems to look like the one that was in a 83 F150.... thanks- Henry

ClydesdaleKevin

Sent: 2/8/2008

You can try pulling any electronic fuel selector valve from any dual tank vehicle, including RVs, in the yard...but keep in mind that in later year vehicles (I'm not sure of the year they changed this) electric fuel valves went from always having power going to them on one tank, and no power when on the other tank (sort of like a servo), to just changing polarity when switched between tanks.  Something to do with less chance of spark to ignite a leaky valve.  I know that in our 77 it was the old style, and when we replaced it, while the valve LOOKED exactly the same and even had the same mounting bolts and holes, we had to change the dash switch to one with more wires to reverse the polarity.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

MSN Member

Sent: 2/8/2008

OK cool..... thats what i was wondering about if they work the same... so I will make sure to look at wiring..... thanks for the Help..-Henry

JOINTVENTURE

Sent: 2/12/2008

You will do much better buying a new one they are not that much ..Junk yard fuel parts that have been sitting awhile will have deteriorated rubber components due to fuel /rubber/time ..

jkilbert

Greetings from the steel buckle of the rust belt