Need a carburetor for my 73 D18 w Dodge 318

Started by GOWINIGO, July 22, 2009, 12:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GOWINIGO

I am having trouble finding a source to buy a new carburetor for my Winnebago. It is a 73 d18 with a 318 can any shoot me in the right direction...I cant find the post about this sub...has to be a thousand of them..Thanks!
-Bryan 919-320-309 Hm?
:)

angrybreadbox73

it depends on what carb u are looking for lke mine has the awfulv 2bbl and am planning on getting a 4bbl forit try ebay
soo many bagos so little time

Oz

Search keywords  = carb replace.

You'll see plenty to go over.  The posts really cover carbs for the 440, but it doesn't matter.  The principles are the same and the discussion covers all kinds of brands, sizes and applications.

318... Edelbrock standard 600cfm.  JEGS or Summit Racing.  Want a little more umph?  Performer 650cfm (nothing larger).
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

thebluesliner

I have a D20 1973 / LA318 and changed mine for an Edelbrock 4 Barrel last year when I got my engine rebuilt. Do you want my old 2 barrel as I'm gonna be throwing it out soon anyway. It's stored at my parents shed and the place is going to be sold this fall. I don't know about shipping this across the border though, might be classed as dangerous goods as it is used!!!
It seemed to be working all right when taken off even with the weak fuel pump.

DaveVA78Chieftain

[move][/move]

Cakeman2253

My 318 has the Carter BBD carb. You can buy re-manufactured from Napa or Advanced Auto. You can also buy rebuilding kits. Check out ebay.
God grant me calm seas, A helpful wind, A good catch, And a safe return home

LJ-TJ

I wished you lived in Canada. Winzilla put me on to an out fit in Toronto who rebuilt mine for $200.00 and was worth every penny of it. Iwouldn't change it for anything since I've had it done I get between 8 to 10 miles to the gallon and when the wife drives it she can squeez close to 15

Slantsixness

The Carter Carbs are so Simple to work on, that unless the throttle plate is worn out, you can rebuild one of these in about 2 hours. (good luck finding a new throttle plate though...I've found used ones in junkyards that are still good)

whats the problem with the original carb?

Almost every time I've gotten a rebuilt carb, from ANYWHERE (Napa, Recon, wherever...) it has needed fine adjustments, re jetted, or even just doesn't ever adjust properly right out of the box. (they have a habit of "rebuilding" carbs to fit multiple applications, not the specific year and model of a carb, so you might get ports that "don't go anywhere" or jets for the wrong year motor... Bummer)

this is NOT true if you use an "edelbrock" (used to be a Carter AFB) 4 barrel. Most of the time, they are just about setup and adjusted when you bolt them on.... provided you dont have a worn camshaft, burnt or sticky valves.

I think I'd try a compression test, and remove and plug the vacuum going to the Brake powerhead before blaming the carb on poor idle or poerformance. If the Booster is leaking, you'll never get it to run smoothly.

Oh.. and the little carter 2 barrel carb will perform just fine on the 318-3. A little slow going (after all you're driving a 10000 pound brick down the road...), but it saves (a lot of) gas... :)

Hope this helped,

Tom
Remembering My 72 D20RG Brave "Smurfbago" The old girl never let me down, and she's still on the road today. quick! get out the Camera... I spotted another junkyard full of Winnies...