Rebuild or buy new Brake Master Cylinder?

Started by weretrees, July 09, 2012, 05:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oz

Geeze... I totally forgot this.  Additional options for brake parts sources:   D:oH!

http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php?page=page4701 
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

weretrees

Master cylinder sent back from Cardone. Cant rebuild they say.No reason why? What next? Alretta? or another rebuild shop?
Wannabango

Oz

Go back up one reply.  Did you try any of those resources?   Hm?   

If you don't want to look into these, you can go to Geoff at Alretta and get the right part the first time =  $$$$$$$$

brians69d24

Is it the P2127? Did you try ordering it online with Napa?

ClydesdaleKevin

I highly recommend just going with Alretta.  When I called him about the master cylinder for our old 413 and he quoted me the price, I almost choked!

But he was nice enough to explain that not only was getting the right master cylinder from old stock nearly impossible since everyone was nearly out of them, the rebuild parts were also nearly impossible to find since they had stopped making them for years.

He explained that while the external housing looks the same as others, its the internals and valving that are very different. 

He also explained WHY his were so expensive, and it wasn't because he was greedy with a corner on the market.  Its because his are custom cast and machined, and cost HIM a lot of money to have produced...they aren't rebuilt, they are brand new.

Anyhow, I liked doing business with him, and his other parts, like brake hoses and wheel cylinders, were very reasonable.  And his parts fit, right, the first time.  And work, right, the first time.  No adapters, so monkeying with anything, just an exact fit that works perfectly.

If I still had a motorhome with an older Dodge chassis, I'd get all my brake parts from Alretta.  Having an 89 Chevy P30 means I can get all the parts I need at any auto parts store...although sometimes they have to special order in the motorhome specific brake parts.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

DaveVA78Chieftain

[move][/move]

weretrees

I decided to order the m375 master from Alretta. We shall see when it gets here.
Wannabango

Oz

What did it cost?  I'm sure others would like to know what they may be looking at if they need one too.

weretrees

So I received the master cylinder from Alretta truck parts. It cost me $420.00. It comes with an adapter for the front hole so it fits with the stock lines. The number on the bottom is 30042-c. Is this a centric master?
It also comes with a new boot. New boot is not like the stock boot. will have to shape it.
Wannabango

weretrees

The casting number references Napa part # P8569. rebuilt unit. Ill have to see if its available and how much. I think I tried to order this one before and they told me that they would only rebuild the one I had. They had the parts but not the castings. Someone check on this?
Wannabango

DaveVA78Chieftain

Something to think about:
As you said, casting 30042C crosses to NAPA P8569

NAPA 8569 crosses to CENTRIX 130.83006 (that you got previously)

So, is this the same master cylinder you got from CENTRIX and the only difference is the "adapter" and the boot?

Adapters can be had elsewhere.   NAPA 8569 is used on a IH Loadstar medium duty truck with dual Hydro-Vac system.  Not an oddball occurrence.  We have sourced some other parts via IH before.  I would sure hate it if you have just purchased a $250-$300 adapter.

Dave
[move][/move]

ClydesdaleKevin

From what I understand the internals are different, including port sizes that have to be custom machined.  That is what I was told anyway.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

brians69d24

If they are custom cast, there shouldn't be a chrysler casting number on there for you to cross.

I would venture to bet after 35 years, the original dies would be long gone.

DaveVA78Chieftain

Kevin,
It is that "adpator" that makes me question what is going on.  If, the port sizes had to be machined then why the adpator?  In post 6 he said:
  So the centric master ports are both 7/16. The original is 7/16 and 1/2 " so adapter or is this the wrong master. Everything else looks the same.

Assuming the MC from Alreatta is the same as the CENTRIX and then you combine "Everything else looks the same" with "adaptor" and something smells fishy to me at least.   The MC casting also maps to a MC used for a IH medium duty truck with a Hydro-Vac unit.  I suspect that is the same weight class of vehicle.  Sorry, Alretta's high parts cost makes me suspect him when I know I can find many of things he says that he is the only source elsewhere.  Combine that with some other issues that have happened to members here and I am even more reluctant of him.

If I ever get one of these MC's from someone I will be more than happy to take it to White Post Restorer's to see what they say.  They are in the business of bringing this type of stuff back to life.

I have a simular situation on my M400.  When I had to replace a brake line to the original MC, the MC port size was different than what comes on a standard 3/16" brake line.  I had to procure a special brake line with different sizes on each end that I then had to install a union to connect it to the new brake line I installed.  Same thing the adaptor would do in this instance.
I did not even know this type of stuff existed like that until then.  In my case, the normal 3/16 brake line had a smaller fitting than what the master cylinder required.

Dave
[move][/move]

ClydesdaleKevin

Hmmmmm...that does sound fishy.  When I bought mine from him for the Ark several years back, it was an exact fit.  Everything was exactly identical to the one I pulled from that old 72 chassis with the 413 engine.  The boot, the shaft, the fittings...and I don't recall seeing any casting marks on the shiny new master cylinder.

Perhaps he ran out of those and, instead of having more made, adapted existing ones?  If that is the case, then he is indeed ripping folks off, since his prices certainly haven't come down.

Kev

weretrees

Well, it seems that the insides are different. He says he assembles them with new insides.
Wannabango