Crankcase Air Breather

Started by Jimhartman, May 05, 2020, 11:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimhartman

I have replaced the standard air breather with a cold air intake. 

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/SPE-98499

I am not excited about drilling a hole in it to attach the crankcase air breather hose. 

Any reason I couldnt just put a crankcase breather filter on the valve cover instead and call it done? 

I guess I am still going to have to drill a hole in it to attach the evap system feeder lines?  I would really like to delete them as well and just put on a fuel tank vent.....but if i cant do that, does anyone have some suggestions on a good adapter to attach those lines to my shiny new air hat? 

Rickf1985

I don't understand why you bought that thing when the stock air cleaner picked up cold air from in front of the radiator? And it will flow ten times what that little thing will flow. I hate to say this Jim but I think you are not going to be happy with that once you get out on the road and you need that full 850 CFM of air. Trying to ram it through that tiny space above the carb is really going to hurt your performance. The stock air cleaner flowed better than just about any of those aftermarket ones and filters are cheap. Where does the filter go on that thing?

You can out a valve cover breather on it but you will be smelling crankcase vapors the whole time you are driving and the engine will be covered with oil mist. You have to remember that on these motor homes we are running flat out most of the time so no engine vacuum and the blowby will be pushing all that stuff out into the engine compartment.

With the evap system I am just going to say you are better off leaving it intact. It does not hurt performance at all and removing it is opening a HUGE can of worms, especially with an 80 gallon gas tank. I have been flamed far too many times in the past so I will just leave it at that.

Jimhartman

Many thanks.  The stock air breather perished when I replaced the carb and intake. 

This one is actually a lot bigger than it looks.  4 inch hose coming into it.  Snorkels out to a filter in front of the radiator.

On the evap.  There are two cans.  One for each tank.  One of them make perfect sense to me, but the other doesnââ,¬â,,¢t.  It has what looks like two vacuum solenoids on top.  Does the other can Daisy chain to this one and then one of the solenoids goes to the air breather?  If so, which one goes to what?

Rickf1985

Do you still have the thermal vacuum switch that was mounted in the thermostat housing and had all of the vacuum lines coming off of it? This is where some of those lines need to go since they are engine heat controlled. The vacuum diagram was on the side of the air cleaner. I will see if I can get a picture of the on from my Pace Arrow tomorrow. What carb and manifold do you have on there? That air intake is only rated for 675 cfm. That big block and the original quadrajet would easily pull the quadrajets rated 825 cfm. And there is no filter in it, What are you doing for a filter? I know I sound like I am trying to throw a cinder block into your plans here but I don't want to see you get in too deep and find out it was a big mistake.

Rickf1985

And the canisters go by total gas volume, they cover both tanks. Mine has two canisters but one 80 gallon tank. The hose routing is interesting to say the least. but if it is taken out you can get liquid gas condensing in those lines and leaking out all over the place. The problem id the sizable amount of gasoline evaporating at any one given time. The charcoal holds the vapors until the engine is started and partially up to temperature and then it is released slowly into the intake as a vapor and burned with the rest of the intake air. If anything you get a hair more power from it.

Jimhartman

Edelbrock 1906 and this manifold: https://www.edelbrock.com/rpm-air-gap-2-o-intake-manifold-7561.html?fbclid=IwAR3fIuo05YK9HpfcXO_wt07m3rpS9eVKSaWYNmkhvaeh6Ut8886tEfu8ciU

you can see the work on this facebook post: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10215621313418350&set=pcb.10156468277894620&type=3&ifg=1&__tn__=HH-R&eid=ARABiRnPP8uptxFJi2JqyDh2eDpjxZbp47cll4kFBPBh708No5Wl05PD4DzAdBBc6RhAQQTCi-hDvnpK

I had a mechanic do most of the work---thats where the air cleaner went.  The water pump was also replaced, so the thermal vacuum switch is gone too.  I guess I could get a new one and install it.  There is a port on the new thermostat housing that is closed off.  With no AIR system, no heat riser, what else besides this purge would it control? 

Thats a good catch on the cfm, but that 1906 is only rated for 650cfm, so I should be ok.    The filter is mounted up front:  [size=78%]https://www.summitracing.com/parts/spe-hpr9612b[/size]

I found a pic of the vacume line routing in the forum: [/size][size=78%]https://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php?topic=13977.0[/size]

It still has all the AIR system components.  Mine is now very much stripped down.  Looks like the purge line would T into the PCV valve hose that goes into the carb.  It also appears to have a line that goes from the can directly to the carb, but that doesnt make any sense to me. 

Rickf1985

Ok. Jim, I am not going to say much more on the engine. You have a race intake instead of a street torque intake and you are feeding it with a 650 cfm carb. I have been yelled at in the past for saying too much when it comes to these things so I will stop here. That picture appears to be of a throttle body fuel injection unit. I have not had a chance to get out to mine yet, the battery died in my car and I need it for the doctors tomorrow so I had to fix that first. I will go out as soon as I get some lunch and get a pic of the vacuum lines.

The proper build for that engine would be the #2161 manifold, Either the #1411 or 1413 carb and a set of headers. You could add in the 2162 camshaft for a really killer torque monster engine that would get decent fuel mileage. You could have stayed with the original air cleaner which flows more than enough air and has all the needed fittings.

Rickf1985

Jim, I just went out to take a picture of the air filter from my Pace Arrow and it is the exact same as the picture you found on here so that is the one they use for all of them I guess.