Engine oil dipstick for 440 need source and length

Started by The_Handier_Man1, November 25, 2008, 03:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Handier_Man1

Sent: 3/4/2003 1:00 PM

I need a dip stick for a 1973 Winnie 440 engine, I found one on ebay, but it wasn't the same length as the old one.What is the part number so I can find one and where can I find one.Jim Harrell

Sent: 3/4/2003 7:16 PM

I don’t think you can go by the Dodge part numbers, and I have no idea what the winnebago number was, or if they bothered. I looked in the parts book, and the pictorials all show the kind of dipstick mount you would expect to find on a truck - you open the trucks hood to reach it. But Winnebago always mounted the outer end in front of the radiator, so they had to extend the length a lot. It’s a 3733738 in the book, but I bet that won’t work for you. Maybe a 440 winny owner will measure his and tell you the length, then you have to try to find one, and hope the other winny was made with the same extension as yours. My dipstick was a coiled thing with the last 2 inches of a real dipstick brazed to it. That end fell off one day. I got a cheap choke cable from an auto parts store, removed the center wire thing, and poked the coiled housing into the dipstick tube until an inch of it had gotten oil on it, then I made up a little clamp to keep it from going further in, and made a loop of the rest of it for a handle. The first time I changed the oil, I carefully put in exactly 6 quarts, and it came up one inch onto the end of my homemade dipstick. Mine gets about 500 miles to a quart of oil, so I have to be able to check it about every day on a vacation, and the dipstick I made doesn’t have anything that can fall off inside the oil pan. Of course there are bound to be plenty of longish dipsticks at a truck salvage yard. denison

Sent: 3/4/2003 7:27 PM

I just measured my oil dipstick for my 1979 winnie with the 440.   It is like a throttle cable also.   It measures 45 inches from where the actual dipstick starts just below the ring handle.
Rick

Sent: 3/4/2003 8:18 PM

Here we go, my mechanical in put, having checked my oil,

dip stick is 78 winnie, it is really long. 

Sent: 3/5/2003 11:48 PM

I recently found an RV wrecker - Clayton Murphy - in Leduc Alberta, Canada. You can reach him at 1 780 986 9860.  Hope you're lucky.  The part # is 3733738 if I've read my parts manual correctly. Graham