Changing to aluminum rims!

Started by thisoldhippy, June 27, 2012, 11:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thisoldhippy

I have a 1979 Elandan2! What about changing to an aluminum rims to help with unsprung weight to help with mileage? Maybe even upgrade to the bigger new 22"  :)

DaveVA78Chieftain

I take it you have a M500 Chassis with 19.5" rims.  Nothing wrong with going to aluminum rims if you can find them.  Not much available for the Dodge products of that era.  Even though the 79 Elandan 2 has a much more aerodynamic front end shape, I doubt you will see little if any mileage difference though.  Weight is a big factor.

When you say 22", do mean the 22.5" RV/Truck tire?
[move][/move]

thisoldhippy

Yes I mean the 22.5" rims don't know if they would even fit! I have found nothing as far as the early style rim! Just a thought seems there is a lot of unsprung weight there!

DaveVA78Chieftain

The M500 chassis used a 5 lug, 8" diameter hole pattern (19.5" x 6.0) rim.  They also use the double lock nut wheel nut (each stud requires 2 seperate wrenches).  I think the rim centering is done by the studs also.  I suspect you will find it difficult to find any form replacement rim for that version that is not custom made (high $).  I have no clue if there is a 22.5" rim that would have that configuration.
[move][/move]