RV has not been run in two years!

Started by wizardbill, April 24, 2010, 09:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wizardbill

My 1978 Georgie Boy has not been running for two years.  I am going to be working on it to get it running, hopefully within a week.  I was wondering if anyone knows anything specifically to watch out for, or has any knowledge of any preventive measures that could be taken to reduce any problems, maybe with cylinders or anything dealing with the motor not running for two years.

Thanks for the advice.

Bill

Oz

MIne wasn't started in a year and a half, but I used the same routine as I did when I would start my engine every two weeks in the winter, except for the first item:

Spray the carb with carb cleaner 
Prime the carb by pouring little gas in it.  But not much! 
Otherwise, you'll get a fireball that will hit the ceiling... I know. 

If the gas wasn't treated with Stabil... drain it and put in fresh. 

It will take a few turns of the key and cranking for a few seconds until the fuel in the lines reaches the carb. 

Once started, slowly increase the idle 
I use a long piece of 1 ½" x 1 ½" wood, set against my armrest to the gas pedal 
I push the arm rest down farther to put more pressure on the gas pedal to increas the idle.  That way, I don't have to sit there with my foot on the gas the whole time. 
I'll let it idle after starting for about one minute. 
Then, increase the idle roughly 250 rmp and leave it there for a minute. 
I do this until I have it up to about 2,000 rmp.  I leave it there for about 2 minutes 
Tthen, I drop it to 1,000  rpm.
By then, the engine temp should be climbing to it's normal range. 
I leave it there until the temp stops climbing and stays put for one minute 
Check the oil pressure 
Then, I let it idle for about 5 minutes to see if the engine temp goes higher than it should. 
After that, I run it at 1,000 rpm for 10 minutes. 

This will get your engine gently coaxed into it's regular operation cycle.  If there are any ignition or engine operation issues, they should become apparent during this (backfiring, stuttering, shutting off, overheating...) 

As for gaskets. 
Do this about 5 times, a few days apart.  If you have brakes, definitely drive it.  A mile at first.  Then a couple if all goes well.  Then 5 or ten.  Watch your temp, etc.
If your gaskets have hardened and shrunk, you'll start to see leaks, typically from valve cover gaskets and engine/tranny pan 

I hope this helps and I'm sure there is much more advice from far more qualified folks yet to come.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

wizardbill