Converting rear drums to disc?

Started by westcoast redneck, November 17, 2008, 10:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

westcoast redneck

Sent: 1/17/2005

Have a 78 brave.21ft .Was wondering if anyone has converted any older Winnies to full disc brakes all around..I think most are disc in the front & drums in back.$$$Thanks

Sent: 4/5/2005 9:16 PM

Disk brake technology is actually simpler than drums...much simpler.  There is a reason the auto industry for years, and to this day, keep drums in the back and disks in the front:  The drums are less susceptible to being affected by moisture, ie rain water.  This gives them more "grab" in wet weather than any disk brake.  Most of your braking is in the front wheels, which is why most new vehicles use the stronger disks in front.  Drums in back give you an edge in rain by making up for the initial slippage of the disks during wet conditions.  I can almost see converting front drums to disks, although if they are set up right they stop you just fine, but I wouldn't bother changing perfectly good drums on the back to disk. 

Kev and Patti Smith

Sent: 4/5/2005 9:54 PM

Dale;

I think that converting to rear disc brakes is not a good idea. A while ago my Fire Department got talked into buying an engine with rear disc brakes. We have regretted this since we got it. This vehicle has horrible brake fade. Our other(heavier) engine has a traditional set up, and stops much better. We actually just had the brakes done on the (all disc) engine(calipers, pads, & rotors), to the tune of $7000!. It still doesn't stop as good as the other. We seriously looked in cutting the rear axle off, and replacing it with an axle with drum brakes. It was waaaay to much money. I have discs all around on our family wagon, and they seem ok. I think the system just doesn't work on larger vehicles. Just my two cents.

Dave