Chassis battery size?

Started by Clyde9, November 15, 2008, 07:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clyde9

Sent: 4/24/2008 9:55 AM

One of Sunny's many little issues is that she wants a new chassis battery. I knew this from the git-go before I ever saw the rig in person. Currently have the batteries hooked up in reverse with the deep cycle acting a s a starting battery. That's how I got her home. The question is, what size battery would be best to get for it? She currently has an Interstate aboard with 875 CCA. That's big (of course, the 440 is big LOL), but I wonder is that the right size, overkill, or what? I was checking prices at Sam's Club yesterday, and a perfunctory check of the racks didn't even reveal a battery that big, though I'm sure I can get one. Would a 700 CCA do, for instance?

Baffled, as usual...

MN Tom

Sent: 4/24/2008 8:28 PM

Yes Tom ...the 700 CCA will do just dandy....if  you want to do a lot of starting in winter months, and it it parked outside (in Minnesota) when the temp hits a zillion below as it does in your neck of the woods then a little bigger might be better, and then again in Min.... 2 million cranking amps in dead of winter still might not be enough....

As long as you keep it maintained it will do just fine.

I currently have the Wal-mart... Ever start with700 CCA in mine (also a 440) been there for almost three years and it still like new.

Tom I have a question....My in-laws used to live in Prior Lake.. I went to visit three times...First time it was -22 the second -25 and the third the warmest it got was -5 .......Since this is a leap year... I've heard that in Minnesota summer usually comes on a Tues. in July. When does summer come this year, would it be on a Wed.?

Timmy

Sent: 4/24/2008 10:34 PM

For starting in weather above zero, I would get the least expensive battery that Walmart sells. The condition of the battery cables (both the positive ones and the negative ones) is important too. For starting on the cold mornings I used a battery heater; which in my case was typically a 100 watt bulb laid against the side of the batt. Also putting a charger on it the night before you want to start the RV in zero temps will make a bigger difference than will a bigger battery. I know folks will says it doesn't get cold in Virginia so how important was a battery heater -- but then I would often get 6 or 7 years service from the cheapest Walmart batteries.

Sent: 4/25/2008 8:06 AM

I've got a 1050 (Max) Marine starting battery in Smurfy. Got it at BJ's. The "CCA" rating at -10 degrees F on it comes out to 875 though.
I paid $79 bucks for it (after the old dead battery core refund)

Be confident about your battery cables. Replace them if they appear worn or corroded: that will solve 80% of any troubles you could have. If they are new and the right size..., you're in luck!

Why? Hmm... 700 CCA is plenty. Alternator is 125 amp. The only thing the chassis battery runs in my rig is the engine and 90% of the exterior lighting (not the porch light or compartment lights).

So... what I have found with batteries is... the 800+ CCA batteries take less time to recover (charging on the alternator) from starting, and have the extra capacity needed when hard starting from sitting or in cold weather.

Next benefit? The "Marine starting battery" tends to do better over long term cold storage (except my original one died in 3 years... but that was ok... I left smurfy in mothballs for a year and a half, and I came to find out I had inadvertently connected the propane detector (a must have, by the way...) to the chassis battery line (oops!))
Ok... so for really cold winters....??? save your sanity. Buy any battery with an attached handle, and remove it (them) from the rig over the winter, leave it in a garage or basement (because nobody wants a battery in the kitchen), and charge it once a month (you will need ample ventilation when charging; perhaps you should do that outdoors).

Types of batteries?
Interstate is the best made battery out there (and probably the most expensive). but any Group 24 battery is suitable, as long as it meets or exceeds 700 CCA at 20 degrees Fahrenheit.

Tom

Sent: 4/25/2008 12:39 PM

i buy my batteries from the interstate distributor the sell what they call economizers they are new returned batteries that are recharged and tested and they put a different label on them here they go for $20 i have never had any problems heres a link to the dist. in mn
http://www.interstatebatteries.com/www/distributors/states/minnesota.asp

Sent: 4/25/2008 12:55 PM

Thanks, guys. You probably saved me $20.00 anyhow. The 700 CCA goes for $59 at Sam's. I'll check around a little more, but that gives me a good yardstick.

Timmy...all I can say is: "Moderator!! Moderator! Help! Help! Off Topic!!" (pointing finger accusingly at Timmy) "Off Topic!!"

I'll answer about MN on the Misc Board, don't want to clog up the battery string. Thanks, guys.

Timmy. The Misc Board. NOW, pal......(hehehe!)

MN Tom

Sent: 4/25/2008 1:24 PM

Forgot.  Main reason for replacing chassis battery; It does have a little juice in it yet (enough to fire the 12v reading lights in the rear of the coach since it is currently hooked up to that circuit), but the PO was honest and told me that he neglected to take it out and it froze solid during the winter. The case didn't crack, but he said the battery itself was a mess. I don't even want to fool with it.

Sent: 4/29/2008 5:35 PM

In my opinion there is no such thing as to big of a battery especially for a m/h even if it is only the starting side of the system you cannot go wrong with a good quality high cc rated battery.  Do not skimp out on the cost of the battery(it is one of the "you get what you pay for" things).

Not saying that low buck batteries are bad, i have had one of those cheap walmart batteries for years now and no signs of it dying yet.  but i have had more cheap batteries go bad than i have had good quality big beefy batteries go bad.

this is just my experience and opinion.

with that being said i am going to 8 6v Trojan genie lift batteries wired in 2 banks at 12v i should be able to go for nearly a week on strait 12v:)

Sent: 4/29/2008 7:42 PM

For what its worth, walmart batteries (Everstart) are made by Johnson Controls.

Johnson Controls also makes..

Duralast - Autozone
Kirkland - Cosco
Autocraft - Advance Auto

I'm not a battery expert, but have always had really good luck with Interstate. Last year I got cheap and bought a walmart marine battery for the coach side and an everstart for the chassis, so far good results, but its too soon to tell if they will hold up.

Sent: 5/1/2008 12:41 AM

Make sure to keep your receipts in a safe place. Hope you have better luck than I did.

Chuck

Sent: 5/5/2008 1:02 PM

Good news, guys and dolls!   Sunny's existing chassis battery is going to be okay. The PO had told me it was a boat anchor since he "thought it had frozen over the winter". Maybe it did, I don't know. Thing is though, he should have had a bit more patience with it, trying to breathe life back into it. I charged it at a slow charge for four days....and was amazed to find it almost had a full charge with all cells equal on the hydrometer. I reinstalled it, switched the cables over from the deep cycle where they were temporarily hooked, and was gratified to hear the high pitched whining/"laughing" sound of the Chrysler starter turning at normal speed. Been almost a week now and it's holding a charge.

Thanks for the great advice. I will refer to it when I eventually DO replace the battery.

Later,

Sent: 5/7/2008 1:26 AM

and was gratified to hear the high pitched whining/"laughing" sound of the Chrysler starter turning at normal speed.

There's nothing like that sound is there? You hear that sound in a parking lot, and you know it's a Chrysler. Reminds me of taking trips with my grandparents in their '73 Indian. That sound = hittin' the road!

I get the rush whenever I start my own.

Ahhhh. The Chrysler starter sound. Thanks, Allan. Now I don't feel so goofy... hehehe! It DOES give me a "rush" too, as I'm sure slantsixness among others would agree. That sound was one of the draws when I saw that big 440 sitting there in Sunny, why Sinn was a Dodge, and why my current trusty rusty backup (which replaced a Dakota) sitting out in the driveway is an 85 Dodge Prospector.

"ah-ah-ee-ee-ee-ee-ee-ee!!"

ROFL!