Hi Everyone! What is my camper?

Started by samskillern, June 04, 2012, 07:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

samskillern

Hi All,

Have just picked up a camper which I intend to have as a rolling project / live in van for travelling through France/Spain.

The current owner wasnt too knowledgeable other than the fact that it is a winnebago and has Midas on the log book - can anyone tell me anything more from just the pics?

Not me in the pics btw!

:D

OldEdBrady

I know precisely what your RV is.  Comfortable.

ibdilbert01

I think the log book is right.   It has the front end of an early 70s Midas.   A lot of people call RVs Winnebagos, its kinda like a xerox machine instead of a copy machine.
Constipated People Don't Give a crap!

samskillern

It certainly will be comfortable.

Its about the biggest we could afford, and with such a low budget we knew it wasnt going to be in great condition, there are a few leaks which have caused damage, loads of the electrics dont work and we havent even picked it up yet. Unfortunately only the wife can drive it at the moment as in the UK if you pass your test after 1997 you cant drive anything over 3.5 tonnes. So will be a few weeks/months before i pass my HGV test.

But if we can recommission everything then it has everything we need, shower room/toilet, large fridge, generator, LPG, 7.2 V8? Should keep us going as a live in vehicle for wife, step-dau, me and 2 dogs :)

Will be here a lot asking for help!

OldEdBrady

LJ-TJ

ibdilbert01

TJ Nails it!   that 78 has a similar grill!   So I'm changing my answer to "late" 70s model!    W%
Constipated People Don't Give a crap!

samskillern

Cool good find on that forum post, so its a chevy engine then :P

It was built in 78 so 10/10 :)

ClydesdaleKevin

Welcome to the group!  Always fun having folks from the UK onboard! 

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

samskillern

Thanks, really excited about getting to work on it.

Just been quoted £750 for my C1 test so its all go now.

DaveVA78Chieftain

You said "7.2 V8".  Is this a diesel or gas engine?
If gas, is the distributor in the front or back of the engine?

7.2 = 440CI (Dodge; Distributor in front)
7.4 = 454CI (Chevy; Distributor in rear)

Dave
[move][/move]

samskillern

Hi Dave

Haven't picked it up yet, need to arrange to go back at the weekend and drive it home to Gloucester. It's a petrol engine (there is supposedly an LPG kit part fitted but no idea yet.)

Will have a look at the dizzy and see if it's front or back at the weekend. One thing I do know though is that it sounds gorgeous!

samskillern

Its arrived!

Safely at my unit for 6 weeks now until we start our travels.

Oz

Sweet!  That body looks like a blank canvas for a great custom paint job!
Now we know you have a "Class A".  Let us know the rest of the details when you have them (To update your Profile info.  That helps when asking questions of posting info because, all that shows up on the left side of every post so members know the basic info on what you have).
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

samskillern

Cheers Mark,

We tried to get some of the electrics working today, the previous owner didnt say much about them, when we plugged it in we got a bit of smoke coming from what I think is the furnace?? Was very old and mucky but best way to describe it was a metal box, with a radiator type construction inside and ducting coming off it to vents around the van.

Either way its confirmed my scariest fear of second hand motorhomes which is dodgy electrics so after sorting it out we have now decided not to take any chances and gut the interior replacing all 12v and 240v systems.

Oz

Mr LJ-TJ can sit on your shoulder with the re-wiring.  It is, unfortunately, very common for wiring to have gone bad (mice, squirrels, corrosion) or that the POs hacked it.  Definitely a safe choice.  Much better than an electrical fire.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

LJ-TJ

But,BUT! She's a sweet looking ride  :)ThmbUp . Got any pic's of the inside?  W%

ClydesdaleKevin

If anyone can zoom in on the wheels and lug pattern, we should be able to determine pretty quickly if its a Chevy or Dodge at least.  My computer is a little netbook and when I blow up the pic, it gets too grainy to see.

From what I can see on the front wheel, with the 5 lugs and 10 lug holes in the steel reenforcement ring, it does indeed look like a Chevy to me, which would make it a 454.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

moonlitcoyote

Looks to me like it has 8 lug nuts

awatters

It looks like 8 lug nuts on the front wheel and the spare looks like it has 8 holes.

samskillern

Heres some of the pics i have, sorry if i repost any

More to follow in a minute when they upload.

samskillern

And i have just discovered buried in the folder of info, the original spec sheet...

samskillern

DaveVA78Chieftain

For chassis parts reference reference, that makes it a chevy P30 chassis.  If you can find the VIN number plate we can also narrow the year down also.

Dave
[move][/move]

ClydesdaleKevin

So I'm not crazy and it is 10 lugs...lol!  Unless there was a weird year/years when Chevy used 8 lug wheels on a P30 chassis.  Our 77 and 89 P30s both have 10 lug holes.

Now back to my Earl Grey tea...

Kev