CEE BEE Paint Stripper E 1004 JN for aluminum bodies

Started by karlsruhekustoms, December 12, 2016, 02:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

karlsruhekustoms

I got a 1973 Winnie Brave and I was thinking about a new piantjob for her. As it is not really fun to sand the paint from such a huge vehicle, I looked for some alternatives.

So I bought me CEE BEE PAINT STRIPPER E 1004 JN. It`s  a Special paint stripper for airplanes, so the Aluminum under the paint won`t get damaged when using this stuff. And it really works. Spray or brush it onto the old paint, wait a couple of hours and just use a plastic scraper to remove it.

I think I will just paint it with clear varnish and keep the pure Aluminum look.

Keep on rollin`!

CapnDirk

Coming from an airplane background, that's about the best route to go unless you have someone do something like soda blast it.

Disposal:  don't know your area but here we have weekend recycling days of hazardous stuff (limited quantities) so scrape stuff into a 5gal bucket and take it to the recycler's.

Usage:   The stuff works by getting UNDER the paint.  We could slop it on there and it would do nothing.  Take a razor blade and score the paint, and it would take off gang busters.
"Anything given sufficient propulsion will fly!  Rule one!  Maintain propulsion"

"I say we nuke the site from orbit.  It's the only way to be sure"

karlsruhekustoms

Hmmm....didn't score the paint, because I don't wanna scratch the Aluminum. It worked perfect by only brushing it on.

CapnDirk

Aircraft paint, bulletproof Imron (the catalyst comes in a glass jar.  It will eat through anything else)

Old Winnebago,  not so.   :)

Glad that worked.  Did you say you are going to polish?  Maybe some tint and let the aluminum shine through.  Burnish?  Careful on prep work for anything going on top.  You need adhesion which is kind of contrary to good looking aluminum.
"Anything given sufficient propulsion will fly!  Rule one!  Maintain propulsion"

Rickf1985

I painted with Imron when it first came out back in the late 70's. Back before Dupont told the painters that we needed full pressure body suits! Luckily it was so expensive I only did one boat with it before getting the proper gear. I never got the catalyst in glass jars? Always came in metal containers with screw lids along with the activator. The paint was in a standard paint can.

CapnDirk

Yea, it was nasty stuff.  Dives me nuts seeing someone painting without a respirator.

An FYI people.  Paint particles will adhere to your lung tissue and destroy it much in the fashion of radiation.  Not reversible.  If something is floating in the air, put something over your face.  A disposable charcoal respirator is about $25-30 and if kept in the resealable bag, will work for you a long time from painting the RV to blowing insulation in the attic.