mystery switch

Started by boohoo222, January 29, 2017, 03:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boohoo222

could this switch be for water pump, the red one to the right of the monitor panel...
1978 dodge coachmen class c 23ft                       1978 chevy open road class b

cosmic

Hm? could be W% but could also be a self destruct button... :)rotflmao :)rotflmao :)rotflmao

jokes aside.. try following the wire..

joanfenn

Well if you flip the switch on do you hear the water pump running?

boohoo222

no water access yet, if it is don't want to try dry
1978 dodge coachmen class c 23ft                       1978 chevy open road class b

circleD

If someone put that switch in that location it was for a utility purpose such as the water pump. It's aftermarket. That's where the water pump switch is suppose to be on the HR panels. It was probably easier to put it there because running wires to that location isn't easy. The original switch probably crapped out. I'll try to take a pic of my panel tomorrow when I drive it. 

boohoo222

thanks circle d, theres 2 switches I cant locate yet and they are ...water pump and hot water tank, no switches over sink, I found converter/battery charger, but no inverter so switch over couch is still a mystery

boohoo222

I found the water pump switch, middle button on panel

joanfenn

hot water tank.  if it lights up is my second guess.  Nice having everything in one location.

boohoo222

joan finn, I bet you are right, but don't want to try that till I have water in system

joanfenn

DRMousseau

I sorta suspect a hot-water switch,... and sorta thought the water pump was included in that panel, somewhere near the tank monitors, and I see you have found that.

IMO,... Gaining access to the water-pump, I wouldn't hesitate to activate it dry for a short moment to verify that switch (or another) along with electrical circuits and operation. The brief test moment will at least let you know it's the one your lookin for, and let ya know if it's functional before filling a system with water! This is of course assuming the pump is actually functional and not dead, seized or burned out. Since your systems dry, I'd likely remove the pump, clean it, inspect it, as well as connections, and would probably verify it operation with an alternate power source before reinstalling it. I may use the pump itself to verify the switch, or a meter on the connectors to verify presence of power,... AND trace to the fuse panel too.

Same with hot-water tank,... that switch is typically present on units with electronic ignition. Those with a standing pilot don't have that. So #1 giveaway is "do I have to 'light' a pilot for my water heater?" If not, than there is a switch to activate it somewhere. Again, I would test ignition system momentarily while dry to verify proper function of ignition, gas flow and flame adjustment WITHOUT overheating it of course, which would only take moments without water AND wouldn't be recommended if an alcohol based antifreeze is detected in the system. THAT would be bad!!!

Knowing these systems are functional AND READY for water, is for me primary in importance before adding any water in the system. And that includes a brief inspection at accessible plumbing, looking for signs of prior leaks, repairs or needed attention.

I often BEGIN at the fuse panel when exploring unknown systems. That's where the DC coach power is SUPPOSED to be distributed from and where it basically originates. It's helpful if the panel circuits are well marked, but that's not always the case. And SOME circuits may have been added later by POs and may or may not be marked at all. If I have power thru identified (or unmarked) fuses,... I can sometimes pull switches and verify power to the back of those switches by removing and replacing that corresponding (or unknown) fuse. I can also verify if the switch is functional and passes power to the ultimate destination,... lights, appliances, etc.

BTW,... my hot-water switch has an internal light. It can be confusing. In some instances, that light will verify that it is on (if there is no other indication of on and off). In my case, the switch is well marked for on/off, and also has "WH" marked in the center,... and the light, indicates a failure of ignition, and that the safety system has shut down the water heater. I must turn it off momentarily, and back on to reset the system, whereas the light will remain out if operating properly.

It is quite possible that the original heater had a standing pilot, and was replaced with a newer electronic system. That "generic" switch may have been added later in the best(?) possible position relative to the new heater AND may be worthwhile removing, looking behind, and exploring further as to jus WHERE it gets it's power for activating the water heater if may not have been OEM installed. Any identifying mfg dates on the water-heater??? do they reasonably match mfg dates of RV??? 
Welcome,..
To The Crazy Old Crow Medicine Show
DR Mousseau - Proprietor
Elixirs and Mixers, Potions and Lotions, Herbs, Roots, and Oils
"If I don't have it,... you don't need it!"

boohoo222

thanks dr.m, I will start that now

boohoo222

dr.m, hot water heater is electric start, gas run, it is under sink on drivers side, no switch in that area, the red switch and monitor panel are on passenger side

boohoo222

monoco motor coach just sent me a 81 hr operators manuel and the button on far left on monitor panel is hot water heater, center switch is water pump,,now we are making progress,.gotta figure out the red switch and the one over couch

DRMousseau

HA!!! Sooooo,.... I jus threw away the post I jus working on here between your replies. And we can assume that hot-water heater is OEM!!!

NEXT!!! Two OTHERS? ??? ???

btw,... check that HW gas valve is off till your ready to test that system.

Welcome,..
DR Mousseau - Proprietor

boohoo222

dr. m, solving the mysteries one at a time  :)clap :)clap

Elandan2

Is there a fan behind the fridge? Could be for that.  Rick
Rick and Tracy Ellerbeck

boohoo222

DRMousseau

Quote from: boohoo222 on January 31, 2017, 02:11 PM
....making progress,.gotta figure out the red switch and the one over couch

Over the couch???  I have an unmarked rocker switch on the backside of the settee seat beside the couch/sofa/hide-a-bed??? Mine activates an electric motor to lower/raise the sofa into a bed D:oH! ,... or adjust the reclining sofa back Hm? ,... or jus for grandchildren to play with N:( !!! (I'd rather it didn't exist!)
Welcome,..
DR Mousseau - Proprietor

boohoo222

I guess I will fire it up and flip the switch and see what happens W%