Exhaust clearance

Started by The_Handier_Man1, November 17, 2008, 05:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Handier_Man1

Sent: 4/29/2005 12:29 AM

It seems that my '72 Futura has one-up on the old Winnies, from all your pictures and comments about exhaust clearance and the need for heat shrouds and whatnot.

I'll post a few pictures when I get a chance, but none of my break lines,hoses,  cables, or gas tanks are anywhere NEAR my exhaust pipes or manifold.  In fact, my exhaust head pipes sort of wrap away from the engine before joining the muffler toward the back.  They and the manifolds aren't anywhere near the starter, wires, etc.

The only wires that get near the manifold (413 engine, by the way) are the spark plug wires, and there is what appears to be a factory loom that holds them up out of the way, and there are tin heat shields between the spark plug boots and the manifold, which also appear to be "factory".

One other neat and usable difference is the dog-house shroud.  You can see from the pictures in the Ark album of the cockpit that instead of a domed shroud like the Winnies, my shroud is big and dead flat, and makes a perfect place for one of the dogs to ride shotgun.  It also gives me a LOT of room to work on the engine, since not only the cover is removable, but so is the carpeted "kick panel" above it. 

Neat stuff.

Kev and Patti Smith.

Sent: 4/29/2005 7:02 AM

Go ahead, rub it in about your engine cover!
As for the exhaust and fuel tanks; on my dodge motorhome chassis the tanks are hung on the outer side of the curbside frame. The muffler is mounted close on the inside of the same frame rail. There is a heat shield between them however. The fuel lines run across the tops of the tanks, and over to the curbside frame rail at the leading edge of the front tank - the aux. one; then to the tank selector valve/solenoid on the curbside frame rail, and along the outside of the frame, forward past the engine, then down to the fuel pump â€" going on the outside of the frame. Which is where my fuel filter is mounted.
But I believe your starter is within 1.5 inches of the drivers side exhaust manifold, and it should have a heat shield mounted on its upper surface; or the lubricant in its bearings will get “baked” by the exhaust radiant heat.
If you look in my picture album; Denisons 73D22T, you will see photos I took showing the clearance between the drivers side brake lines/handbrake cable/wiring harness, and the nearby manifold. I don’t think the brake lines are more than 2.5 inches from the manifold. There was originally a heat shield mounted there, missing when I got mine; but I made up a replacement for it.