Windshield wipers don't work after installing new radio/stereo

Started by Beachcomber, October 01, 2010, 03:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beachcomber

This is going to sound a tad weird, but since installing a new CD deck in the original radio/tape player location, I have no windshield wipers front or rear. There don't appear to be any loose wires or free connectors anywhere under the dash (the usual rat's nest). All fuses under dash appear okay as well. Am I missing something simple here, because they worked fine before the deck installation, but there wouldn't seem to be any connection between the two (CD player and wiper switches). Any thoughts would be appreciated.

DaveVA78Chieftain

Not going to be an easy answer.  Windshield wipers were one of the circuits that was added by the coach mfg (Winnebago).
I suspect wipers/washer circuits are supplied via the 20 amp IGN ACC fuse (next to the 7 1/2 amp radio radio fuse).
I have never seen any detailed Winnebago coach electrical wiring diagrams earlier than1990.
Check the:
1. Fuse (most likely either the IGN ACC or BATT ACC fuse)
2. Wiring at the windshield wiperr switch
3. Wiring at the Windshield wiper motor

Dave
[move][/move]

Beachcomber

Dave! Just the man I hoped would respond. I've owned vehicles in the past that would group, say windshield wiper, radio and flashers on one circuit because they're seldom using a lot of power at the same time. Is it a real possibility that the now disconnected original radio also powered the wipers. There is a multi-plug like a trailer wiring plug that has factory caps on it, but several pigtails off of the "in" side of the plug, can't tell where they go to however, other than two that originally went to the radio, but now not in use. Could the power to the radio also have powered the wipers? I'll first confirm the checklist you supplied, after that........???? Love these old Winnies, but the factory should be slapped about the head and neck for making after sale maintenance/repair such a pain. Thanks for picking up the ball........Rick

Beachcomber

Pleased to say the wipers are back! There was, indeed, a blown fuse, but the way the fuse was sitting in the shady  part of the netherworld that is the underdash area of a Winnie, it appeared intact. Only by removing the fuse could I see it was blown. Once I rebuilt the dash switch (a too flexible copper filament not making proper contact) all was good. Prior to the switch rebuild, I had found power, but then the wiper wouldn't switch off! Bad pun here, but I am now a happy camper! Lesson....on these old rigs, one of the first rules of repair/restoration should be to make sure the components are at least close to original spec.....then go from there.

DaveVA78Chieftain

Glad to hear you got it fixed.  Curious though, was the bad fuse one of the two I suggested.  Always like to know things like this for future reference.

If you end up needing one, I suspect the Wiper switch listed on page 75 of the Winnebago RV Parts and Acessories catalog will work as a replacement.
http://www.winnebagoind.com/resources/manuals/pdfs/Winnebago_Catalog.pdf
[move][/move]

Beachcomber

As a matter of fact it was a fuse (20amp) on the left (battery) side of the fuse panel. It's in a typically awkward to get to spot, and appeared okay until I took it out (had a twist in it, so the melt was not obvious). Replaced the fuse, but then, the wipers worked, but would not shut off! Removed the switch, and "rebuilt" it. The contacts are on a thin copper strip that has to have just the right amount of arch to it to avoid being in contact and producing the always on status. Also, there is a small spring in the switch that was not keeping the rocker under tension, so it was sitting on the contact strip all the time, causing the always on situation. Not easy with my big hands, but a no cost fix, aside from the new fuse. I was ready to toss the original switch before finding the spring was causing the problem. I actually went to Napa and checked for a replacement, and I believe a switch made by Cole Hersee would be a direct replacement, right down to hole size, although I don't have a part #. Those Napa folks tend to be really helpful folks, willing to scour parts books to find a $5 item for you, and will often give you the jobber price too! The switch I was looking for was $14 Canadian, but would have been cheap considering it's a straight replacement item for something as important as wipers. By  the way, I still don't know exactly where the wire to the wipers originates, but it splits from the front wiper switch via a double headed spade plug, to power the washers and rear window wiper, jfyi . Thanks for the caring and sharing.