Upgrading from points to electronic ignition (413)

Started by MSN Member, January 09, 2009, 10:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ernie

Sent: 4/15/2003

Picked up my '72 chieftan yesterday. It has the 413 engine with points type distributor. I am interested in going to electronic ignition. Should I use one of the more recent after market systems or a particular chrysler stock system?

denisondc

The chrysler electronic ignition for the last year of the 413 is probably the same as what went on the 440s in 74, 75, 76, 77, so there are lots of them around. I have seen them on ebay, and a truck salvage yard would have them. they might be the same setup used in the pickups and cars for all I know. you need the distributor, and the electronic module, which mounts at the rear of the block, and the wiring harness. Im sure there are aftermarket systems too, but have no experience there. I have the 413 in my 72, with points - and I like it - no electronics to die. I have used it for 40k miles, and the maintenance I do myself, so don't mind changing points and setting the timing every 5k to 10k miles. I carry spare points and condenser and coil, but have never needed them, in 12 years. I carry a timing light on trips over 1000 miles. be sure and lube the felt wick in the center of the distributor shaft - so the centrifugal advance doesn't stick. denison

Colin

My 413 also had the original points distributor. I wound up replacing and upgrading the entire ignition system, including going to an electronic ignition. My rig now runs great and has much more power, but with all the other work that I've done it would be hard to say how much of it I can credit to the electronic ignition. I know that I haven't had to spend any more time or money on ignition since I made the change. The electronic ignition needs very little maintenance. One thing I would recommend is to change to a performance-type coil. Every mechanic I've spoken to agreed that the chrysler stock ignition coils of that era were very under-powered and didn't put out anywhere near the voltage needed to adequately power the engine. In addition, their location and lack of coolant only add to the problems. I bought a Mallory box-type coil and mounted it away from the engine along the side rail. Again, I don't know for sure how much it has helped but I know the money was well-spent.

C.

ernie

Sent: 4/18/2003

Gentlemen, Thanks very much for your response. It turns out that the old girl already has electronic ignition. Previous owner said it had points. Looks to be factory.

DanielTBolger

Use Chrysler stock system.   Go to a junk yard and get the wire, dist module & make you own setup.  The power wiring for a Dodge is not like GMC were you have to run a wire back to the key switch.