Strange electrical problems

Started by Odss91b, March 22, 2014, 07:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Odss91b

Ok today I took my MH to Chattanooga (about hour and a half away) to get new shoes on her. Some things noticed hopefully the brilliant minds can enlighten. After driving for 20 minutes stopped and got gas, but the engine kept running after shutting of the engine for a couple of seconds then quit . Next the brake light on the dash came on a couple of times even though we didn't set the emergency brake. Lastly the cigarette lighter got the lighter hot but when I plugged in the GPS or phone charger it would work for those items.

Stripe

Check all your electrical connections..  And Grounds...
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

Thundercloud

How many miles are on it? A gasoline engine can actually "diesel" when it shuts down if the pistons and heads have carbon buildup. Try some fuel additive like Garenteed To Pass or something that says its designed to clean internal engine parts. AS for the other stuff if your rear brakes were low it could mess with your emergengy brake cable causing the light to come on. And Id just get a cheap inverter to charge your stuff. They are easy to install.
Independence, freedom and determination!!!

DaveVA78Chieftain

QuoteNext the brake light on the dash came on a couple of times even though we didn't set the emergency brake.

Brake light not related to Emergency Brake.  Indicates a problem in the hydraulic brake system.   Low hydraulic pressure in either the Front or Rear system.

Quoteengine kept running after shutting of the engine for a couple of seconds then quit

Most likely timing set incorrectly.

Dave
[move][/move]

MotorPro

Do you have fresh gas or has it been sitting for a year or more? Dead gas or too much timing are the most likely causes of dieseling or overrunning.

Rickf1985

The fact that you are having issues with lights on the dash and also with the motor running after switch off I would suspect the ignition switch. You did not say if the light on the dash were also with the switch off, if yes then definitely look into a new ignition switch.

Did it run smoothly after you shut it off or did it cough and ping?

Stripe

Thank you Rick..
Like I said, before you go running all willy nilly back n forth, just check your wiring first, then go from there..
Fredric,

circleD

Like Dave said, check brake fluid and there should be a divider in there for front and rear. See if they are full. If so see if you can notice a difference when using the brakes to see if if it pulls left or right and if you can tell if the stopping force is coming from the front or back brakes. It should be the front ones stopping more. Motor sounds like it needs to be cleaned but remember, IF YOU BREAK GUNK LOOSE, YOU'LL HAVE TO CHANGE OIL MORE TO GET IT OUT INSTEAD OF CIRCULATING IT.
Like Stripe said check connections mainly the grounds. The positive and negative wires have to be the same size which means if one is corroded it reduces the current and gets hot like a smaller wire.

Good luck 

circleD

Oh yea! We had an old fire truck that when you shut it off it would keep running for a few seconds until it got so bad that when you turn it off and sat there in the cab it would back fire and sound like a shot gun  :D . It's really funny when you're at a truck stop and you know what's going to happen so you push the throttle down to give it that extra fuel then cut it off and cover your ears and watch people hit the ground and scream when it backfires  :)rotflmao . I didn't realize the reaction was going to be that bad but we didn't do that no more. I think it was a carb problem but we didn't try to fix it  because we were afraid it wouldn't run as good after that. So FYI, get it looked at ASAP!

ramit

frist off the motor running on is carbon in the head quick fix for that is to pour acan of sea foam down the carb till it dies out let sit for half hour then restart itll smoke like mad but when the smoke clear it should not run on any more.... as for the lighyer sockit most likely just a dirty and not make a conection on the gps plug disconect battarys try cleaning in the sockkit with a piece odf emry paper and a screwdriver  http://seafoamsales.com/sea-foam-motor-treatment/

moonlitcoyote

Quote from: Odss91b on March 22, 2014, 07:10 PM
Lastly the cigarette lighter got the lighter hot but when I plugged in the GPS or phone charger it would work for those items.
I have the same thing in my 96 jeep grand cherokee, but it has a "power" outlet right next to the cigarette lighter that works for other things. The cigarette lighter wont power anything but the lighter tho

Odss91b

Ok tried to find the brake master cylinder when I did find what I think is it it was to dark. Looks like ill have to use a flashlight and a mirror and grow 3rd and 4th arm! I'll check it tomorrow. I bought another cigarette outlet and will be installing it tomorrow.

Odss91b

It has 79,000+ miles. For the seafoam treatment, I'm assuming the carburetor is under the doghouse. Just pour it in until the engine dies then let it sit for 30 minutes then start it up again? I poured some Lucas oil fuel treatment in the gas tank and let it run for about 30 minutes and it still dieseled. I will try the seafoam treatment next. In regards to the brakes, they stop whenever I push them but seem to stop better after I pumped them once.

ramit

oh and have the engine to operating temp before pouring sea foam

tiinytina

Gone will diesel periodically doesn't seem to matter if after a long haul or a short one... sometimes not sometimes will. Gas in her is always relatively fresh, stabil added before winter.   I find and this was by mistake my part, that if I shut her down while in drive she will not diesel on... but in Park she will (when in the mood)... 

Brake light on means hold on to your shorts! Means some or all of the brakes are not working!!!!!

There is usually a trap door under drivers side floor to access the brake fluid wells... the carpet is not usually nailed/glued but is just sitting there... so pull it up look for access (yes it is possible to reach it under wheel well if you are double jointed.... )...  If pumping your brakes increases the pressure by a noticeable amount you either are low on fluid or have air bubbles in the lines and brake lines need bleeding. if you are low on fluid 2 things to check, leak... or your hydroboost is "boiling" the fluid.  either way don't drive it with that brake light on.... ever.   

Cigarette lighter - most likely contacts.. look inside it with a flashlight, any rust etc... lightly sand/scrape etc.. contact cleaner...
Tina
Hi from Gone to the Dawgs! 1987 Tiffin Allegro in Deale MD. CW Rocks!!!

Stripe

I don't suppose we can split this into three separate threads could we? ???

As to your dieseling problem, here is what I found:

Dieseling is a condition which can occur in spark plug, gasoline powered internal combustion engines whereby the engine keeps running for a short period after being turned off, due to fuel igniting without a spark. This condition can occur for a multitude of reasons: Built-up carbon in the ignition chamber can glow red after the engine is off, providing a mechanism for sparking unburnt fuel. Such a thing can happen when the engine runs very rich, depositing unspent fuel and particles on the pistons and valves. Similarly, non-smooth metal regions within the piston chamber can cause this same problem, since they can glow red. It has also been suggested that an improperly rated spark plug can retain heat and cause the same problem. A carburetor that does not close entirely can contribute to running once the engine is off, since the extra fuel and oxygen mixture can combust easily in the warm piston chamber. Similarly, hot vaporized oil gases from the engine crankcase can provide ample fuel for dieseling. Incorrect timing. An engine that runs too hot or too lean may produce an environment conducive to allowing unspent fuel to combust. An idle speed that is too fast can leave the engine with too much angular momentum upon shutdown, raising the chances that the engine can turnover and combust more fuel and lock itself into a cycle of continuous running. Potential fixes Items similar to carburetor cleaners and carbon cleaners have been suggested as partial remedies for attempting to clean the piston chambers and valves of engines that run too rich.

I doubt this part applies but I left it in anyway...
For those engines that have sharp metallic edges, it has been noted that poorly milled heads and blocks can contribute to this problem, so having the rough spots smoothed may help.

For those engines that run too hot or too lean, verify that all mechanisms in place to cool the engine properly function as they should. Replace the thermostat if necessary.

Clean the radiator. Verify that all auxiliary fans engage at their proper temperatures, and ensure that the thermostatic sensors on belt driven fans engage as necessary.
In the case that there is too much angular momentum, lower the idle speed if possible.
Fredric,

ramit

sound good drove mine to garage today stop for fuel and shut her down she kept running guess i got some work to do...

Rickf1985

I would still like to know if it is dieseling or if it is an ignition issue. There are several reasons it could still be getting spark after shutting it off. That is why I asked if it was knocking and pinging or running normally after shutting it off.

Stripe

I can tell you this, No it's not normal after shutting of your ignition..
Fredric,

Odss91b

No it isn't knocking or pinging while in operation. As to the brakes I played contortionist today to check the fluid level. Had to use the iPhone camera to see that there was hardly any fluid. Of course I come home and read Tina saying there may be an access door in the cab to. Check the brake master cylinder. Using a siphon pump I fill it up till it is running over the side. Put the lid back on take it for a spin to begin with the brakes are nice and firm then a couple of times they get spongy then firm again.

DaveVA78Chieftain

[move][/move]

Odss91b

I thought that from having such low brake fluid

Odss91b

A friend is coming over tomorrow to look at it. He's a mechanic for a trucking company.

DaveVA78Chieftain

Learn everything you can from him
[move][/move]

Rickf1985

I wasn't asking about yours. N:( I was asking about the op's problem.