Self-djustment cable & pawl assembly for '72 front brakes.

Started by The_Handier_Man1, November 25, 2008, 04:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Handier_Man1

Sent: 2/12/2006 3:46 PM

Hi people,

I have been unsuccessful in my search for a replacement kit for the front wheel brake self-adjustors. Got a '72 Indian with the old 5-bolt two piece rims. Anyone find a source for a replacement kit? Tried all the usual parts houses, NAPA, etc. Think I am going to have to start hunting down old Winnes in the parts yards.

Regards,

Bruce Donley
Jenison, MI

Sent: 2/12/2006 4:09 PM

I would think that if you have any good chance of finding a new kit, if they do exist, would be through Geoff at Alretta Brake Parts.  Use "Alretta" in the Message Search for contact info".   He's the best.

- Sob

Sent: 2/12/2006 4:39 PM

I would think -some- supplier would have those parts, as they well eventually corrode and break. Have you contacted www.alretta.com? Or try asking at places that work on delivery trucks and fleets. I have found it useful to ask a truck repair facility where they buy their new brake goodies.
Also, I am definitely in favor of people hunting up parts in a salvage yard, and harvesting the pieces from the dodge motorhome chassis. All kinds of pieces. I did that already, so I have a nice set of extra everything except the spindle and brake backing plates.
If you want to use your winny in the meantime, you only need to disconnect the self-adjusters on both front wheels. You should not leave one side with the self-adjusters in place, but disabled on the other side, as it will eventually begin to pull slightly when braking. I doubt you would need to worry about adjusting the brakes manually for thousands of miles, like maybe 6000 to 10,000. Just be sure the adjusting star wheel is free and turnable before you put the drums/hubs back on.
I take my brake drums off about each 6 years, and one reason is to cleanup and relube the self-adjusters. 

Sent: 2/12/2006 6:04 PM

The adjuster cable itself is a rare item. I think when we did Kev's brakes that Geoff said the adjuster itself was no longer available. We got the Hardware kit, but it didn't come with the pawl or cable. I fear that it may not be available, but check with Geoff... www.alretta.com  to be sure. If these are compatible with '72 drum brakes from an 8 lug winnie, I have two that are good that you could have for a little shipping....
I know where there are 5 or 6  different 5 lug budd M375/400 chassis around Virginia in Junk yards, so If you have no luck, let me know and I'll see if I can find you some. Check with Geoff first though, that would be the simplest solution.

You do know that if the cables are just frayed, that new cables can be re attached to the clip and eyelet, right? all you'd need is a crimper and some steel cable...

Tom 

Sent: 2/12/2006 6:50 PM

Thanks Tom,

That had not occurred to me. I may still have the old cable around, which was the part that was broken. I believe I had contacted Alretta for that part two years ago with no success. If the old parts can be crimped onto new cable it just may work out.

When I picked up the Winne it had a grinding sound in the left brake. Just thought it was a bad brake pad. Not so... the P/O had driven it to West Michigan from Colorado with parts loose in the left front brake drum. When I disassembled it the expander was laying in the bottom pretty beat up but I got it working again, found some replacement springs, but the cable & ratchet I was unable to find or duplicate with a similiar part. Have been just manually adjusting it like we had to do on all the old cars before self adjusters became standard(visions of my old '50 Chev, fastback model).

Regards,

Bruce Donley
Jenison, MI

Sent: 2/13/2006 6:45 AM

Bruce,
I've had good luck repairing the self adjuster cables by crimping a ne cable where the old one was frayed/ broken or damaged.

If you can do it, crimp the @#$#% out of it. I'd even put a dab of JB weld on the ends, just for that extra "feel good" surety. Even if you dont have both cables, just match one up with the right "ends" at a parts store (it'll be too short) then change the steel cable out for the right length, and you're smilin'.

Of course, there is no such thing as "automatically adjustable" front drum brakes. I know in theory, they're supposed to, but for 10,000 miles of forward driving, you only back up for about 5 miles total, and that's just not enough rearward moving brake applications to keep the shoes "snug"! So yes, I used to adjust them all the time manually, until I converted to disc brakes (there's a discussion here about that!). Now I don't have to think, just stop! (And I still have to adjust the back brakes, of course!)

Tom

Sent: 2/13/2006 5:23 PM

I have to disagree here. Mine seem to work on my M400. Whenever I take the drums off, I always set the star wheel fully screwed into the 'plug', and when I take them off the next time, they have always unscrewed out somewhat. Same for the back brakes, where there are 2 adjusters on each side. I always collapse those adjusters too, and find them partly extended when next I have a look - about each d6 years. I always clean those threads and relube them each time too. 

Sent: 2/14/2006 11:05 AM

Bruce -

Give me a call - I have a solution that requires replacement of all existing hardware with a completely different type of adjustment system based on interlocking levers (no cable).

It is the only way to replace the cable and the adjuster screw which are uniquely sized on this chassis. Everything to chageover is included.

Total cost is about $115 plus freight.

Regards,

Geoff
Alretta Truck Parts Inc.
http://www.alretta.com

508-788-9409 business hours weekdays