Torque values for 413 Head and Intake

Started by The_Handier_Man1, November 16, 2008, 11:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Handier_Man1

Sent: 8/12/2006 4:07 PM

anyone know where I can find head&intake torque and sequence for a 413?

Sent: 8/12/2006 5:03 PM

The torque specs and tightening sequence are in the service manual, back of section 9, from which I got this info……..
The head bolts on the 413-1 are listed as torqued to 70 ft-lbs. There are a couple of notes in the service manual that are relevant to the 413-1: “Tag the center bolts for replacement in original holes. Inspect all bolts for burned-out or failed ny-lock plugs. Ny-lock bolts are used to prevent coolant seepage.” I guess they assume you would run a thread tap into each of the threaded holes for the head bolts.
The tightening sequence is a common one for cast iron heads. Starting at the top center bolt, torque them to 40 ft-lbs in sequence; going in a zig-zag to left and right, beginning with the bolts closest to the center, and finishing with the bolts at the ends of the head. You never torque two bolts that are adjacent, until you have done the bolt that is opposite it on the other side of the head. I would probably torque them to 30 ft-lb in my first ‘circuit’ of the bolts, then to 50 ft-lbs, then to 70 ft-lbs. And I would recheck the torque 24 hours later.
The intake manifold bolts are torqued to 45 ft-lbs.
If you are putting heads back on without having a service manual handy, you have more self-confidence than I do.
By the way, the little bolts to hold the valve covers down, only get torqued to 40 inch pounds â€" about 3 ft-lbs!

Sent: 8/13/2006 5:48 AM

Thanks, doing this without manual because PO had pulled head.  Said he had a cracked head, wasn't,only blown head gasket.  Still a pain in the ....  No one at local so-called parts stores can find any info on 413.  A plug here for Geoff as he had no problem getting parts and shipping them to me.

Sent: 8/13/2006 1:54 PM

I got my internal engine parts from a nearby outlet in Alexandriathat only sells engine parts, and mostly for trucks. It is co-located with a machine shop that reworks truck engines and heads.