Adding a Chassis and coach extension. Options?

Started by Dunnohow2, April 02, 2010, 04:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dunnohow2

I don't know how long the wheelbase is on the longest vintage Winnie but Wendy, my 20' Brave is a bit short for long trips and potentially (if the economy continues down) for a 24/7 home..
I would like to extend the rear frame, add an additional drive shaft and possibly an extra unconnected axle/wheel set, with the box from a wrecked panel van.
My plan is to build a toy hauler type rv and workshop in the rear. I want to carry an old series 1 Land-Rover (1.25 tons), and two motorcycles (about 0.5 ton) plus all my gear: welder, generator, compressor, and mini-mechanic shop!  No room for a kitchen sink though.
Wendy has the largest motor I think (413-3 with 727??) running on LP.
The extension would be about an extra 15'.  Is there a maximum length for an RV?
Ideally, a front end wrecked 20" Brave would be easiest to fit.
Another suggestion I've been given, is to buy an old school bus/straight van, remove the body behind the cab and fit the brave coach and back of the bus.  That way, I could acquire a diesel motor, air brakes (I have a class 1 licence) and save on fuel (less wind resistence) newer rolling stock, a manual gear box and more accessible maintenance.
On the other hand this might be totally dumb and likely be difficult to insure, safety etc.
I like my Wendy and its upgrades but maybe a school bus/van conversion to Rv would be cheaper and even easier.
I don't know how large/heavy a trailer can be towed by Wendy.  The extended Dodge chassis doesn't look strengthened enough for a class IV hitch and I expect a weight distribution  set, trans oil cooler and trailer brakes would be necessary.  Would it be beneficial to change the rear drums to discs.  I'm about to do a brake overhaul so upgrading (servo/master cylinder/compensator etc) might be the right time??  Is this difficult or again, is it cheaper to buy a wrecked rear axle from another truck and if so, which would be the best built and best value for money.
Any polite views would be appreciated.
jenni.

ClydesdaleKevin

Since your rig is only 20' long, the frame isn't extremely extended, so all you really have to do is have a reputable welding shop beef up the hitch...add supports and crossmembers right from the mainframe back, and then you can tow any trailer you want!  The 413 and 727 can definately handle the load safely!

Don't get complicated into heavy mods.  Just tow a trailer large enough to accomidate your needs and just make sure it has brakes and a brake controller in your RV.  The brakes on your motorhome, even if they are all drums, are more than adequate to tow a large trailer provided it has brakes of its own.

This is the cheapest and safest way to go.  And yeah, I'm just like you with all kinds of crazy ideas...I would LOVE to get a British double decker bus and make a bi-level RV!  But it just isn't practical. 

Your 20 footer will tow a very large trailer, up to 18 feet...as long as you reenforce the tow hitch and subframing in the back, and the trailer has good brakes that actuate from a brake controller.  I would also highly recommend getting Air Ride suspension or the equivalent for the rear leaf springs...we tow a fully loaded van loaded with all our stuff and don't really need it since the weight is mostly on its own 4 wheels, but trailers have a lot of tongue weight so you'll definately want to compensate for that with air springs.

As far as keeping the transmission cool is concerned, stock will keep it cool enough in all but the most extreme desert temps as long as the radiator is in good shape to begin with.  An external cooler is cheap though, so its good insurance.

The best and cheapest route to go is a big trailer with everything you want, reenforce the frame for the hitch, make sure the trailer has brakes and a brake controller, get air springs for the back, and install a transmission cooler.  MUCH easier and MUCH cheaper than stretching out your rig and adding axles and whatnot.  And then you have to consider how you want it to look!  If you want it to look nice, you'll have to reskin the whole thing so the extension blends into the rest of the coach, or else it will look WAY too steampunk industrial, like a frankenstein, with just parts bolted and peiced together!

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

LJ-TJ

Check in the photo section. There's a picture of a fellow who converted a Winne into a toy hauler. It might give you some more ideas. I have to agree with Kev and if anyone of us would know Kev's the guy. If you still want to go the add on route let us know....I have a few Ideas. I do know of a chap who quite some time ago cut his Bago in half and just welded a section in the centre. Stretch her out to a forty footer. Basicly  just added a hangar baring and two twenty foot drive shafts. It's a lot of work but not that hared to do.

DaveVA78Chieftain

Well if you just have to build something,
Invest several $1000 in tools (welder, air compressor, grinders, high end metal bits, etc)
You will need adequate storage/working area for all the stuff you will acquire.
Get a school bus with a rear diesel.  Keeps the noise down and is easier to maintain.
Make sure it's a field trip bus that has the highway gears.
Remove the seats.  They are heavy with rusted bolts.  Use cut off wheel.
Now you may need to raise the roof a bit cause them kids were not adults.
Now take the front and rear off the Winne and put them on the bus.  You will have to widen it a bit as the the bus is wider.
Now install RV windows and sheetmetal blanking plates for the old bus windows.  Absolute with roof raise.
Mount tanks (centerline for stability) and generator, make storage bins,  install plumbing and wiring.
Install hi end spray insulation.
Now transfer interior stuff from Winne to new RV/bus.  You will immediately discover you have a whole lot of new cabinets and such to build.
Skin the unit emulating the Winne styling (square not rounded)
You are now well on your way to having a 70's era bus sized diesel pusher Winne.
be sure to attend 50th anniversary shindig and rub it in to the new plastic jobbies.
For different lengths and weights, Dodge made the M-300, M-400, M-500, and M-600 chassis.  Bigger rig, bigger chassis model.
There are differnet Chevy P-30 models until Chevy sold out .
Oh, 40ft is typical length restriction.

Dave
[move][/move]