Opinions-- 16" vs 16.5" tires on my '71

Started by Clyde9, November 15, 2008, 07:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clyde9

Sent: 3/26/2007 6:30 PM

I thought I posted this last night, but perhaps I vaporzied it somehow..

I must replace all 7 trashed tires in order to make the 1971 SandyBego usable.  I always try to get the best tires and batteries to minimize future problems.  I have found several 16.5" one piece, coined rims from late '70's MiniWinnies using my same Spicer 70 rear axle.  I prefer the one piece tubeless rims which I know will fit and be repair friendly on the road.  These rims are going on 1/2 price sale soon, and I would have them sandblasted, powdercoated white and install new 16.5" LT tires on them.  My preliminary research indicates that 16.5" tires are becoming scarce and harder to find.  What are others opinions of my plan??? 16" vs 16.5" ???
pinballlarry in San Diego

Sent: 3/26/2007 10:18 PM

Pay close attention to the tires that are available for them. Load range ect. ,16.5 wheels are normally for low profile tires, could make your coach sit much lower to the ground, unless it was designed for them. I know when I was shopping for tires, I wanted to go up one size. But the load range was quite a lot lower. I could have special ordered the size I wanted with the correct load range, for almost double the cost. I wouldn't put a lesser tire on it than what the data plate calls for. But that's just me, I'm sure others have and got away with it. I run pretty much loaded all the time though. I'm usally pulling a 5000 lb trailer behind.

Sent: 3/27/2007 9:59 AM

While the 16.5 tires (in the original aspect ratios of the 1970s) may be getting scarce, the likelihood is they will still be available for many years to come; though not stocked at local tire outlets. Thats the way it is with the 17 inch tires on my split rims. I can still get them, but it takes a few days or a week for them to arrive. I can still order tires for my 32 Chevy, but might have to wait 2 or 3 weeks for them.
I know there were also 17 inch wheels for the 8 bolt coined hub type of wheel - but those tires are also not common anymore, certainly not in the Light Truck load ranges. You can still get them though.
I agree the load range is going to be a prime factor. As far as I recall, all of the 16 inch tires (even the Light Truck tires) will have a lower load rating than the 16.5. The 17 tires will usually have a slightly higher load rating than the 16.5s. The original reason for having the '.5' wheel sizes, was to provide one-piece wheels able to take tubeless tires for light trucks. All wheels of sizes 16.5, 17.5, 19.5 will take tubeless tires.
If you go to 17 inch wheels, or the 19.5 tires/wheels, make sure they will fit in your wheel wells. And whatever wheel you switch to, be sure they will fit over the brake drums and leave at least 1/8th inch for airflow.

Sent: 5/7/2008 1:33 PM

As you all know, Uncle Sam has decided to Stimulate me. To show my appreciation, I plan on exercising this package on newly unused rubbers. My tires read 16.5x800. Not sure what that means either as I understand the 16.5, rim size, but whats the 800? They are radials too.

I almost feel like I'm beating myself asking questions that have already been asked in the past, but as technology advances, some of the answers on tires could be outdated.

Any suggestions on what I should buy? This is large purchase for my wallet and I want to make sure I buy whats right, but don't want to throw away my money either.

Sent: 5/7/2008 3:07 PM

Basically the 8.00 is the width of the tire, at some specific point near the tread - but I dont know exactly how the measurement is done. My tires are 7.50-17, so yours would be half an inch wider, more or less at the tread.
You would want to get tires of similar size and load rating. If you get wider ones, you need to ensure the two tires on each side on the rear axle dont touch, not even where the sidewalls bulge out as radials normally do.
The load rating of your current tires would be marked on the sidewall, either in 'load range' such as C, D or E, or in terms of 'ply rating', such as 8 ply or 10 ply. And the total load capacity of that tire would be listed in small print - at some maximum air pressure. So just get ones that are close to that. I would make sure they were Light Truck tires, I don't think ordinary pickup truck tires are what I would want on my 5 ton RV.
I would at least get the ones on the front axle balanced. Its not such a big deal on the rear axle, as long as you keep the RV under 90 mph.
We got our 'stimulus too' - and it made the credit card balance smaller. Didnt get it near zero though.
I would feel a lot more stimulated if gasoline dropped to $1.10 a gallon!

P.S. I have a car that takes 7.50-17 tires, in a load range B. Those weigh about 20 lbs each. The 7.50-17 Light Truck tires on the winnie are load range D, and weigh 45 lbs each.

Sent: 5/7/2008 7:04 PM

I would be A LOT stimulated if gas were 2.10 and somewhat if it were 3.10 per gal. lol-Henry

Sent: 5/17/2008 11:24 AM

Thanks for clearing that up denisondc! When I went to the tire store I made sure of the things you suggested! She has 7 new sneakers now, same load rating, same size and dullys are not touching, plenty of space on the inside, even between the bulge.

A funny thing happened on the way to the tire store, the tranny lost third gear. I did manage to help her find it though. Let me explain...

I replaced the transmission lines the night before and ended up loosing a lot of tranny fluid in the process. The Winnie sits facing up a steep hill. Not thinking about the hill, I topped her off with new fluid, checked it, and left for the tire store. I noticed it slipped second, and went into third. A little concerned I knew the tire store wasn't very far away and I'd try to figure out the issue when I got back. Then all of a sudden third was gone, second was questionable, but still had first! I slowed down, turned into the tire store and let them begin.

The guy changing the tires made a comment about the age of the rig and I said...

"Just because shes old, only has two working gauges and two working gears doesn't mean she doesn't deserve new tires, does it?"

I got about as much response out of that as the time I did after he finished up the last tire and I jokingly said "Do you take payment plans?"

he didn't find much amusement in my humor.

Sent: 5/17/2008 12:02 PM

And that's why we own Winnies. Each trip is an ADVENTURE.

Sent: 5/19/2008 6:24 PM

what kind of load range are you guys using? a 6 ply 8 ply or 10 ply? i need to replace my tires and i have received some very contrary advice on the topic. thanks

Sent: 5/19/2008 10:19 PM

The old tires were 8ply - D Rating. I replaced them with the same. My winnie is a D20.